Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How much will you spend?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: How much would you spend on a new reel?

How much would you spend on a new reel?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:13 PM

I guess I'm in the same boat as a lot of the guys so far: when fishing areas known for small fish (under 20") I go with a cheap Teton. The rest of my reels are higher-priced, higher-performance, and frankly I wouldn't trade them. It's nice to know that when something big grabs the fly, you don't have to worry about the reel's guts going up in a puff of smoke.
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#17 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 06:03 PM

I know what I paid for my last reel and extra spool I still want another extra spool for that reel.I also know what my next reel is going to be.I voted fairly high because Iknow what that reel and extra spool is going to cost as far as a dollar value.......thats between me and god!
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#18 nightfish

nightfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

Just for your info, here's what an industry survey showed:

1. $100 or less 14%
2. $100-$199 43%
3. $200-$299 30%
4. $300-$399 7%
5. $400 or more 6%

#19 SDHflyfisher

SDHflyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 10:50 PM

the most expensive reel i have now is my batenkill which i even got on sale for 75

i have'nt spent ofer 100 on a reel but i wouldn't mind spendingup to 200 on one

Hansen Custom Fly Rods

http://sdhflyfisher.tripod.com/

#20 rscconrad

rscconrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 01:02 PM

How much do Ross Gunisons cost. Thats what I have, also the Ross Saltwater 3.

I think the were around 200.

Anyways that was a long time ago and I still love them

#21 Bob_A

Bob_A

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:54 PM

I Think I would spend at least $100 but no more then $200.

Bob

#22 Crotalus

Crotalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:54 AM

Currently I only fish trout on small to medium streams where most retrieves are by hand so my reel is only used to hold extra line. For that reason i tend to go economic on my reels.

if i get the chance to go fro steelhead i would go into the $100-$200 range

Joe

Please visit Predator Fly Outfitters.

8794809351_2a357d8e23.jpg
Predator Fly Outfitters

#23 Fishigan

Fishigan

Is that a chick?...Yesss..NOOO!!....Yesss!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:24 AM

My most expensive reel at the moment is an Okuma Integrity 7/8. I think it was 65 bucks. I plan on getting another in a 4/5. Great reel. However I did vote for the 400+. Since I am saving for a Hardy Angel in 4/5. Looking to get it by the middle of April. @$425. it will probably be the only reel I ever pay that much for. I hope I can get one a little cheaper.

#24 Calvin

Calvin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 12:09 PM

I only use Okuma Sierra's. They're about $45 each and about $20 for extra spools. I use them for trout and steelhead and the drag has never let me down. The only problem is, when I feel the need for a new spool, it's always a debate as to whether to buy the spool or just get another whole new reel.

Calvin

#25 fcflyguy

fcflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:54 PM

for local trout I would not spent more than 65 their are too many good reels for that price or less. I sold my battinkill and bought a okuma for a third of the price and it works great used it on New York browns and Erie steelhead. you do need a good drag for the bigger fish. but I still like to palm the reel

Fcflyguy
tied to throw not for show

#26 dbl_shot

dbl_shot

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 04:06 PM

Certainly varies for me. Ihave used an STH cassette reel for a number of years. Bought it when they first came out which was about 10 years ago. Still use it for anything from trout to steelhead. Most I ever spent was in the 400+ range for a good spey reel. Certainly helps when a salmon or hot steelhead makes a long blistering run and I don't have to worry about drag.

Cheers. - Hansen

#27 Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:28 PM

as much as i would like to have a waterworks purist, for the size of the fish i catch its not economical, ive never had one go to the reel so i really could keep my line in my pocket and just lug the rod around hehehe
-T

#28 Mr. Trout

Mr. Trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:29 PM

My first season of fly fishing for trout I fished with a reel that was worth $10, and caught almost as many fish as my buddy with the fancy stuff, if he caught more it more apt to be because he had over 20 years experience!!!!!!!! Now this fall I am gettin into some nice steelies and i dont have alot of confidence with the same cheap reels. I think a battenkill LA would be more suitable so I choose the 100 - 200

#29 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:41 AM

Let's see.... the three reels I have... all together.... MIGHT have cost $100.... laugh.gif

But my next reel will probably be over $100. In most of my situations, I'll never need anything that great, but as a few have said, I want to have some assurances that when that new world record brown from the White hits my sculpin biggrin.gif , he doesn't smoke my reel and keep going.... and going... and going..... wallbash.gif
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#30 kenneyk

kenneyk

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 06:04 PM

I have plenty of reels ranging from $25-580, therefore I had to vote >$400. MY tibors will last more than I will be alive. You get what you pay for!