Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How much will you spend?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: How much would you spend on a new reel?

How much would you spend on a new reel?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 smokeymountainstonefly

smokeymountainstonefly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 07:18 PM

I fish Teton Tioga's I have three and they all have been great. I never pay retail so I got them all just under $100.00. Retail $109.00 to $149.00.

Smokey
Tight Lines and Cold Beer !!!!!!!!!

#32 kschu

kschu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE (dbl_shot @ Dec 23 2004, 03:06 PM)
Certainly varies for me.  Ihave used an STH cassette reel for a number of years.  Bought it when they first came out which was about 10 years ago.  Still use it for anything from trout to steelhead.  Most I ever spent was in the 400+ range for a good spey reel.  Certainly helps when a salmon or hot steelhead makes a long blistering run and I don't have to worry about drag.

Cheers. - Hansen

Hansen,

You are one of the few folks I have come across that has an STH cassette reel. The local bait shop carries the STH models. I like them when I looked at them. I asked for opinions back at the fly shop and everyone who heard the question (fellow fishermen more than staff) told me not to even think about it. I heard comments like "its a toy" and concerns about breaking the pin that keeps the cassette from spining free. They don't carry STH at that fly shop.

If you have actually used one, I would love to hear your comments. It seems to me that they have a really nice little system there. And it looks economical.

I won a rod in a raffle at the fly show a couple weeks ago. It is supposed to arrive here tomorrow. That means that I need to go out and get a reel and line. The new rod is a SAGE 5 wt. I have a 4 wt St Croix Imperial outfit already and an ancient 6 wt with an SA reel. Once I finish putting together the new rod with a reel, I will be shop for an 8 wt outfit. I would love to try this Steelheading these guys keep talking about.

More later,
Ken S.
Owner: SmallieFishing.com
Member of the Illinois Smallmouth Alliance
Rivers: Fox, DuPage, Kishwaukee, Kankakee
Ponds: Fermilab Ponds, Blackwell Forest Preserve
Fishing primarily DuPage and Kane counties in NE Illinois

#33 ashbourn

ashbourn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:53 AM

I just get what ever fits me and my rod best. Sometimes its a cheap reel other times it is a custom made one.
www.detteflies.com
www.spasegreymatter.com

#34 nedbm3

nedbm3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:48 AM

I am planning on buying a new reel around the $100 range. I don't really need anything fancy. Plus, having a newborn son puts a dent in my wallet. Soon, I will be getting him all his fly fishing gear but it will be worth it.

http://groups.yahoo....aniaflyfishing/
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

http://groups.yahoo....aniaflyfishing/

#35 seanrus

seanrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:57 PM

I'm looking at buying a new reel very soon and will not pay over $100 Canadain. It's not easy cause I want a pretty good reel as I'm going to take it to Newfoundland in July fishing Salmon. I really like the look of the Pflueger 1878 Supreme gold. Trying to found one under $100 is almost imposible, but I'm looking through E-bay every day smile.gif

#36 jbenenson

jbenenson

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:52 AM

I have a number of reels, just because I like 'em. I would pay over $200 only if I had to. I think that most fly reels (and rods) are considerably overpriced. Have you ever looked at what kind of baitcasting reel you can get for the equivalent money, with all the machining, gearing, multi-disk drag, etc? I think that well-made fly reels should cost $75 to $100.

Most of the time I fish with a Cabela's Deschutes (discontinued?), an Orvis Battenkill L.A., or a Ross Gunnison G2 (old style).

One of my favorites is my late mother's Hardy Princess. I put on one of the new Cortland Sylk lines and use it with my 60's-vintage Orvis 99 that I bought in Manchester, VT factory (with Wes Jordan's assistance with the selection). I use that several times a year just to re-visit the experience.

#37 Gary Madore

Gary Madore

"Orvis Whore"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:56 PM

And it ain't over yet....

Edward Vom Hofe Restigouche 6/0 blink.gif

Cheers!

Gary
A bad day of fishing is still fishing!