Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

leader knots

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 07:10 AM

I posted before for leader recipes and got lots of good info. I tried the knots on tippet i had and can't get one to hold they break way before the tippet rating. I haven't weighed this but I can tell. The knots are weak, this is maybe making be have a change of heart on the tying leaders thing. What can i do to make stronger knots. How about doing the leader with perfection loop all the way up or would it be bad to hinge on ya that way. I use those of put tippet on the braided leaders I use now and love it. Strong as can be and easy to tie even with cold hands. thanks in advance.
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#2 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 08:22 AM

try tying triple surgeons knots for your connections. when using fluro a triple surgeon works better than a blood knot. My leaders that I tie for the shop are done this way, I have no problem. make sure you are tying the knots right, alot of people come in top the shop with knot problems and 9 times out of 10 they are tying the knot wrong.

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#3 tdeyette

tdeyette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 09:03 AM

Are you lubricating the knots as you tighten them down? I have a Climax leader kit that came with a small bottle of lube to lubricate the knots as they are tightened (Bloodknot). Without lubrication, when tightened, the knots can generate heat which will weaken the knot. On the stream if I tie a bloodknot, I will use spit for the lube.

OK....I'll stop now before the peanut gallery has a field day with me using Climax, Lube and spit in the same paragraph rolleyes.gif

Tom

#4 Fly1

Fly1

another damn Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 10:35 AM

If your using the Fast & Easy Knot try using 7 turns top and bottom. I use that for my tippets and you should have 100% knot strength, I have landed salmon over 30 lbs on this setup with 6lb test.

Ken cool.gif
Credit River Cane Rods
<span style='color:blue'>Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario</span>

#5 hooligan

hooligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:43 PM

Too late, Tom! laugh.gif

Anyway, if you hear a squeak when you tighten the knot, you needed some (or more) lubricant. As previously mentioned, spit or specialty knot lubricants can be used, or if the leader will be used for dry fly fishing, you can use floatant (gel or paste types), although I'll still use the leader even if I'm fishing subsurface.

John

#6 atroutbum2

atroutbum2

Swapaholic wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 09:30 PM

Is it that you are tying the knot wrong? EG a thiefs knot and a square knot look a lot alike but one will fail under a lighter load.Or it could be that you are either making too many or too few wraps.

I found "Practical Fishing Knots" by Mark Sosin & Lefty Kreh to be an excelent book on knots.
If a man speaks in the woods, and no woman is there to hear it. Is he still wrong?

Stupid should hurt.

#7 flyfishtn

flyfishtn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 02:56 PM

I like the Orvis knot, very good and very quick and seems, to me at least, to do better when tying two pieces of tippet that are 2 sizes off. YMMV biggrin.gif
My fly fishing, tying and random thoughts blog: flyfishtn

\><((((((*>

#8 Greg H.

Greg H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:41 AM

Back-to-back cinch/clinch (also known as stevedore) knot(s) work well for me.

#9 Rando

Rando

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:37 AM

Orvis Knot
flyfishtn mentioned he uses this knot. Can anyone please tell me where I can find a demonstration for tying it?

Thanks
Rando

#10 atroutbum2

atroutbum2

Swapaholic wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:29 AM

http://www.fishandfl...uk/knots/orvis/
If a man speaks in the woods, and no woman is there to hear it. Is he still wrong?

Stupid should hurt.

#11 Rando

Rando

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:35 PM

Finnally found it. The one web site that was suggested shows the orvis knot for terminal attachment and with a little studying I figured how to splice a tippet using this knot. The Nov/Dec issue of the American Angler has a full illustration of the orvis tippet knot. I knew I had seen it somewhere and it sure bugs you when you can't find it again. Thanks for your help.
The reason for wanting to figure this out is the few times that I have used it, it's the best I've seen for attaching a smaller diameter tippet to a larger one, example 6x to 4x.

Thanks again

Rando

#12 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:12 AM

Rando here's the Orvis animated site.
Knots

I've used a knot for more years than I can remember that has been easy to tie and strong.
Overlap the lines about 3", make a loop in the overlap, take one tag and pass it through the loop 3 times, take the other tag and pass it through 3 times from the opposite side, wet and pull up. I find this makes a streamlined knot and holds with Flourocarbon, which can be hard to hold.
Taney County, Missouri

#13 go-n-fishn

go-n-fishn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 10:32 PM

I used to use the triple surgeons knot all the time then started to have trouble with the fluorocarbons so I switched over to the Orvis knot . Took care of all the problems.