Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

more leader questions

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:28 AM

Please, not the Trout Crack scenario. wallbash.gif
Taney County, Missouri

#17 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 11:04 AM

Hey, Wayne.... you got some tout crack man? I could use some.... I'll pay ya back... you know I'm good for it.... rolleyes.gif whistling1.gif innocent.gif kicking.gif
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#18 TODDFATHER

TODDFATHER

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 01:16 AM

Ok Guys, Furled leaders it is! OSD just kicked me in the ass!

I'll try to get a post off with pictures this weekend and hopefully I'll be able to explain this process clearly. Honestly, Although the explaination might be a little confusing, once you see it done you'll laugh at how simple a process it really is. Sorry to take so long getting back to this thread but I've been busy.

Here's a simple list of materials needed

Standard issue 2x4: I use an 8 footer
Empty thread spools
Reversible drill
Useful but not necessary: a variable speed dremel tool if you have one
A small springs (hardware store) I'll explain later
A few finishing nails
Tube of super glue
8/0-3/0 Unithread, Acutally, almost any thread will do if the guage is right. Plain old old sewing thread polyester, or dacron will do nicely also.
A little common sense!

I've furled leaders out of kevlar, silk, nylon, polyester, dacron, mono, and cotton, and all of them worked nicely with the exception of mono. It's the process that makes the leader and only to a lesser degree the material.

Toddfather

Sometimes when sleeping, I set the hook so hard I wake myself up! ...............It's really gonna get scary if I ever get one on!

#19 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:13 AM

Toddfather,

It is an honor for me to be invited to the day of your daughter's wedd..... Oh, wait.... wrong movie....... unsure.gif

Anyway, I DO look forward to seeing and learning about this. I've put off making any furled leaders in anticipation of seeing your method. Besides.... I need a project for Sunday afternoon...... wink.gif

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

#20 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:02 PM

I only have the one Trout Crack that John tied for the swap. I'm afraid to use it up here, gotta leave some fish with fresh mouths for the tourist.

I'm ready as the flag to furl! cheers.gif
Taney County, Missouri

#21 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:11 PM

Toddfather, I've got it all together except for the common sense. When will we continue this and get to the juicy start point? I'm all a twitter with anticipation bugeyes.gif
GET OFF MY BACK!

#22 troutboy365

troutboy365

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:00 PM

Just made one up last night. I search the web for "furled leaders" and found 5-6 sites that show you how to make them (including the links in the above messages). I put together a jig in about 20 minutes and found some 4 lb test mono laying around the garage. In about 15 minutes I made my first furled leader. I was very impressed with how it turned out. I'm off to the store tonight to buy some 6/0 tying thread to try it with. Very simple process and WOW did the leader lay nice. headbang.gif

#23 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:45 PM

C'mon TF we're all countin on you. Are you there or out shoveling snow? Just takin it to the top.
GET OFF MY BACK!

#24 TODDFATHER

TODDFATHER

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:53 AM

Ok Guys!

I'm not very good at taking or posting pictures so forgive the quality of them. The first step will be to make the actual jig which will be no problem at all. Tomorrow I'll post the actual measurements and discuss how to do the actual furling, but for now just take a look at the pictures to see its simplicity and get an idea of its construction.

The jig itself is constructed of a suitable piect of wood such as a 2x4 or a piece of 1x4 with spools attached via drywall screws. You'll notice there are two rows of spools, an upper row, and a lower row. The jig will be used on a pair of saw horses to facillitate working along its length and then from one end to do the actual furling.

A large nail with the head cut off will serve as the anchor for each of the two strands. Make it a long nail.

Notice the finishing nail placed on the end of the jig where the two spools are side by side. It is the anchor point also and will be used when the furling process begins.

http://www.flytyingf...f3608c4e2ff.jpg

http://www.flytyingf...f360669c417.jpg

http://www.flytyingf...f3607c4bb01.jpg

http://www.flytyingf...f360a26ddec.jpg

The jig itself is not so different than what most might use however, the real key is how to make sense and simplify the process of winding, and counter winding the strands of thread to make the process predictable,,,,,,,,,,,Tomorrow!

Toddfather

Sometimes when sleeping, I set the hook so hard I wake myself up! ...............It's really gonna get scary if I ever get one on!

#25 TODDFATHER

TODDFATHER

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:25 PM

Ok Guys!

The overall length of this jig is 6' (72 inches) The spool placement is measured from the long nail as follows:

Upper Spools (strand #1) 9",26",44",61", and 70"
Lower spools (strand #2) 17",35",52", and70"

The location of the finishing nail is 64 " and is also measured from the long nail.

After construction, gather up: Reversable drill, and fabricate a hook from a coat hanger which will be placed in the drill chuck to facillitate twisting the two strands. Strand #1 will be twisted in the clockwise direction and hung on the finishing nail while the other strand is being twisted. Pictures to follow!

Toddfather

#26 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:01 PM

Taking it to the top and waiting for the grand finale.
GET OFF MY BACK!

#27 TODDFATHER

TODDFATHER

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:07 PM

Ok Guys!

We're finally getting to the end of the requirements and it will all come togather shortly. Aquire two light tension springs from a hardware store and fabricate a hook that will allow the two springs to operate off the same hook as shown in the pictures below.

An overview of the process is: The string is loaded onto the spools forming two strands, an upper strand, and a lower strand. The end of the upper strand is attached to the end of one of the springs. The strand is then removed from all of the spools but left anchored on the long nail. The other end of the spring is attached to the hook in the reversible drill chuck and wound in the clockwise direction until the strand has shortened, and can be hung on the finishing nail temporarily. The same process is done to the lower strand. Then, Both springs are attached to the hook on the reversible drill and the drill is set to run counter clockwise. Keep a small amount of tension on the strand any time you are spinning the thread. The two strands will grow in length an approximate the original length. The stopping point is not too critical. When the counterclockwise winding is complete, apply the smallest fraction of a drop of super glue to the very ends of the newly constructed leader. Remove the springs from the drill and slowly let the leader reach some equilibrium by allowing one of the ends to finish it's untwisting. Give the leader a few snaps in the air and finish it off with the terminal connection of your choice. I generally use loops on both ends.

I"m going to try to do a step by step (no text) pictorial tomorrow for clarity and give a starting recomendation for how many loops to make around each spool.

user posted image

user posted image

More tomorrow! ]

Toddfather

#28 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:18 AM

Thanks Toddfather. So far so good. But what roll do the springs play? Are they the replacement for using weight and a vertical unwind?
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

#29 TODDFATHER

TODDFATHER

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 12:46 AM

Arkie,

The springs are to facillitate winding and counter winding the strands. I like to use the springs to cushion things a bit when using a reversible drill. Since some pressure must be kept on the strands while winding and counterwinding, the springs will streach and you'll have a lot less broken strands as a result. When winding, you'll be able to see the spring streach and controlling the pressure is very easy with the streaching spring as a visual aid. Also, when the first strand is wound, the spring can be hung on the finishing nail temporarily while the other strand is being wound. After the second strand is wound, the first spring is loaded back on the hook to start the counterwinding process that actually furls the leader into a one piece commodity.

Pictures comming shortly!

Toddfather

#30 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 05:27 PM

All is well so far. I for one really appreciate all your help to us all through this process.
GET OFF MY BACK!