Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

more leader questions

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Joesmax

Joesmax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:31 AM

HI, Just wanted to know what type of fish you use these leaders on.... I fish mostly small to med streams in Pa..... for trout.....thanks

#32 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:20 PM

TF - To furl or not to furl, that is the question.
GET OFF MY BACK!

#33 TODDFATHER

TODDFATHER

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:29 PM

Guys!

I haven't forgotten the pic's! I've been awful busy,and will get to them soon!

Joesmax,
I too am a small stream fisherman and think you'd be pleasantly surprised using furled leaders. As I said before: "they're the best kept secret on a trout stream. I make them various weights, lengths, tapers, colors, etc., and do so out of a variety of materials. Kevlar to sewing thread, there are infinate possibilities! Float em or sink em! No microdrag! Clean pickup! Turn over very long tippets! Long lasting! Easy to make! Cheap! No problem taking a steelhead on fly tying thread either (very strong)! The list goes on! Give em a try, but once you do, it's very likely there's no going back!

Toddfather
Sometimes when sleeping, I set the hook so hard I wake myself up! ...............It's really gonna get scary if I ever get one on!

#34 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:18 AM

TF - Finished my board last night and thru some trial and error made my first furled leader. What a hoot. headbang.gif

I'd really be interested in your formulas for number of wraps and how you shorten or lengthen the leaders, also any further recommendations as far as materials to make them with. The first one I made was with UNI 6/0 black, really looks great.

Have you ever tried waxed thread? Can you increase the size of the thread and reduce the number of wraps? Possibilities are endless.

Thanks for all your help and patience, it is greatly appreciated. Look forward to the finale.

GET OFF MY BACK!

#35 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 06:01 AM

TF - Where you at old son. Really love to see the final solution to all of this.
GET OFF MY BACK!

#36 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:54 PM

Just movin it up wink.gif
GET OFF MY BACK!

#37 Joesmax

Joesmax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:00 PM

What do you guys use to water proof furled leaders.... I heard watershed....is that thompson watershed like on a wood deck?

#38 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 02:43 PM

It would depend on the material used to make the furled leader. It might only be necessary if using a floating line and dry fly. In that case you want it to float high and dry and might want to rub it down with Mucilin paste or treat the leader with a liquid silicone like the material used to waterproof shoes/boots.
GET OFF MY BACK!

#39 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 02:56 PM

Where was that thread or article I read about using Johnson's Wax Paste or Camp Dry to make them float. I think the "Camp Dry" was what they were referring to when they said "water shed." It's a silicone based water repellent spray used on boots, camping gear, etc. You can find it in the sporting goods/camping section or shoe department of Wally World.

I even heard someone say to use "Rain-X."
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#40 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 03:02 PM

I don't know about Rain X, I think some of the chemicals in there could damage a fly line coating. The watershed is just a liquid silicone used on boots, comes in a bottle with a dauber applicator in it to treat the boot. Just put some in a shallow glass bowl and put the leader in it, let it sit for a while and then take out and dry it in the air. This is inly for thread furled leaders and not mono. You can also use the same material to make your dry flys float, just soak them in the material and then let dry on a paper plate or towel, you can do this right at the tying bench, they'll never sink.
GET OFF MY BACK!

#41 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:59 PM

TF - I know you've been busy but you think we'll ever get this finished. If the pictures are a problem just describe the wraps and final process. What do you do with the end as far as loops? etc.
GET OFF MY BACK!

#42 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:23 PM

This may help

http://www.midcurren...led_leader.aspx
user posted image

#43 lthrnk

lthrnk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:25 AM

Thank you OSD, it was a big help. Really appreciate you picking up the slack j_k.gif
GET OFF MY BACK!