Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly line color

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:43 AM

How much does the color of your fly line affect your catches? dunno.gif I have a 5wt with orange line and another with yellow. I seem to do better with the yellow, but still have more problems than I do with a 6wt with dull green fly line. I use a 7.5' leader with at least 18" of 4X tippet. I know I'm going to change colors when I change fly lines if at all possible.
cool.gif
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#2 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:10 AM

I've noticed no difference between a clear intermediate and a black shooting head.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#3 getholdofjoru

getholdofjoru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:32 AM

The only difference I've found is that I can detect the lines better when they are brighter, like chartreuse green. The brighter lines help you detect strikes better and I guess conversely help you catch more fish.
----JGR----

Check out my blog at www.thejgrdispatch.com

“Never confuse movement with action.” Ernest Hemingway

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." Jack London

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." Theodore Roosevelt

"Live every week like it's Shark Week." Tracy Morgan

#4 Smokeytrout

Smokeytrout

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:31 PM

I primarily fish spring creeks and other high pressure rivers out west I absolutely believe fly line color can affect your fishing. Using a brightly colored line doesn't mean you won't catch fish but you do catch less at least out here. I have in the past owned an Orange SA Distance Taper and White Wulff Triangle taper and tried using them with much less sucess fishing the same bugs during the same hatches. Pretty much only use olive, gray, mist green and clear fly lines now.

Either way casting any colored line over fish will spook them quite often especially if you false cast over fish and sprays of water come off your line; I always try to false cast off to the side. On the Williamson River out here in Southern Oregon just about everyone I see has gone to using clear intermediates for fishing streamers and nymphs.

#5 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:47 PM

I dont think so, I think once a fish decides to take, not much is going to stop it
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#6 flyfishtn

flyfishtn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 06:57 AM

I don't think it is about line color, I think it is about presentation, drift, drag and whether or not the pattern you are throwing interests the fish. I have caught fish on all colors.
My fly fishing, tying and random thoughts blog: flyfishtn

\><((((((*>

#7 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:21 AM

7.5 ft. leader is short if you are using a rod over 8 ft. I fish 9 ft. rods for larger river and use at least 9 to 10 ft. leader including 2-3 ft. of tippet material. I don't think line color matters. There are more important factors as flyfishtn mentioned. It is hard to quantify something with as many variables in this issue. I have caught over 20 fish on a certian rig. A week later I catch 5 or 6, using the same rig in the same areas of the river.

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#8 troutboy365

troutboy365

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:25 AM

I'm with everyone else, I don't think the color matters.

I have one white line and one fl green and personally I like the colored lines better. Sometimes I will fish really clear streams without a strike indicator and so I'll watch my fly line (at the leader connection), so colored line is easier to see. I have noticed that the presentation of the fly is what spooks the fish. When I'm sight fishing, if I make a bad cast the fish is gone.

#9 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:22 PM

Thanks guys. Sounds like I might need ot increase my leader length instead of worrying about fly line color. dunno.gif cheers.gif
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#10 jekeller

jekeller

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:18 AM

i don't do much trout fishing but i don't think that color makes much difference in saltwater. it's the shadow the line casts that seems to make the difference. I can cast a colored line all day on a cloudy day and have no problems but if it's really sunny watch out because the fish do. here we get lots of big mullet schools in the summer and they spook from shadows not colors. one can drag a colored line through schools all day with no sweat, they pay absolutely no attention. but if your line casts a shadow especially when casting and they go ballistic. i've taken to using the clear lines. they aren't as easy to see but they cast almost no shadow.

#11 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 08:00 PM

Line color is a huge factor for me when it comes to stillwater silver salmon and dollies. One day i went fishing with my father i had yellow line he had red and i caught 20 silvers in 3 hours he caught one with the same fly and presentation and we were near the same spot. I would of liked to think i was just better than my dad but we switched rods and our roles were reversed. I will never buy red line ever!
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#12 Smuggler

Smuggler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:39 AM

Hi Guys,
You hear alot from New Zealand that line must be a dark colour and 12'+leaders.
I sometimes fish a Hardy #6wt with an orange line in OZ and have caught my fair share of trout. My favourite line is lime green, because I can see it in small dark streams. I have stumbbled over one major problem fix, I had while fishing a dry beetle on a lake at twighlight. I was loosing sight of the fly and line. During the rise fish would be breaking the surface all over the place and my hook up was only 50%. I changed to a bright yellow line and tied flies that sat extra high on the surface water. This enabled me now to track the direction of the line and then could locate the profile of the fly and strike when the rise interupted my view of the fly profile[shadow]. My hook up is now 97%.
I agree presentation of your tippett/leader is paramount and if you have lined the fish. No colour will make much difference.
Cheers drunk.gif
"Smuggler" ph34r.gif
Trevor Martin
Pro-Angler Geelong
22 Boundary Rd. East Geelong VIC 3219
Victoria Australia
Ph: (03) 5248 8338
Ph: (Int'l) 61 3 5248 8338
Email: [email protected]
www.proangler.com.au

#13 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:31 AM

On small streams for trout I use any where from a 9ft. leader to a 24ft. leader, so I don't worry to much about fly line color..I think presentation is more important.If you are really concerned about what color to use lay on the ground and have a friend cast over you. See which line shows up less !!!!!!!!! you will be suprised... wink.gif

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#14 lanvaettir

lanvaettir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:40 AM

On all of my current stomping grounds I see two extremes for floating lines. Most of the time you are sight fishing and ANY line near the fish scares it away, period. The other extreme is with stained water during runoff where you're bobber prospecting with nymphs and it doesn't seem to matter a bit. Personally, I prefer the higher visibility lines I can see subtle changes in the line and might be able to fish without an indicator which really increases my catch rate. I guess my point is that it doesn't matter what color you use in New Mexico and Colorado. Probably the brighter the better.
Here fishy ... Good fishy ...

#15 jbenenson

jbenenson

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:43 PM

I don't think that this debate will ever end. My own opinion is that line color basically doesn't matter; there are too many variables for a clear-cut choice. The main ones are not frightening the fish and making the line easy to see. I believe that the first is taken care of more by presentation, drag, and length of leader than by line color; the second is not important to me, since I watch the fly and indicator 90% of the time. I can see the line on the water along as it is not totally invisible, so I prefer muted colors such as tan or "willow". If bright lines actually frightened fish, the manufacturers wouldn't sell them and guides wouldn't use them. Neither is the case.