Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Leader help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:14 AM

This might be of help for any one that has questions about leaders. LeaderCalc is a program that allows you to take an orriginal formula and instantly recalculate it for an alternate length or tippet size. A version of LeaderCalc containing 50 freshwater leader formulas is available at www.flyfisherman.com. Like I said it might help.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#2 Fly1

Fly1

another damn Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:47 PM

You can also download an Excel leader calc at the Global Flyfisher site. Here's the link: Leader calc download page

Ken cool.gif
Credit River Cane Rods
<span style='color:blue'>Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario</span>

#3 BadKarma

BadKarma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 07:44 AM

The Excel spreadsheet rocks!!!

Answer 3 simple questions and it calculates your leader for you.

#4 seanrus

seanrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 06:40 PM

I find that with this program there are alot of knot. I can see if you where making a 10' dry fry leader 8 or 9 sections might be needed but do you really need 8 knot in a 8' salmon leader? dunno.gif

#5 jbenenson

jbenenson

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:39 AM

You get the best version of Leadercalc if you buy the book: "Drag-Free Drift: Leader Design and Presentation Techniques for Fly Fishing" It's very interesting reading covering leader design, theory, materials, presentation, drift, etc. It's available on Amazon, among other places

#6 Fly1

Fly1

another damn Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:28 PM

I usually only use 5 sizes for my leaders 25, 15 10, 8 and 6 lb test. It seems to work fine. Use mainly mono except for the last 6 lb section is fluoro.

Ken cool.gif
Credit River Cane Rods
<span style='color:blue'>Ken Paterson, Streetsville, Ontario</span>

#7 mhackney

mhackney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:48 PM

jbenenson,

What is the differnce between the freely available LeaderCalc and the one that comes in the book?

Michael

#8 jbenenson

jbenenson

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:33 PM

Michael,

The one in the book has more leaders and formulas, you can add your own notes and specs, and you can print 4-color labels. It's what you would expect between a freebie and what you spend money for. It's basically the same tool, but with quite a few more features. Plus, the book is worth reading for the information on leader design and behavior.

Jim

#9 mhackney

mhackney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:24 PM

Hey, thanks Jim.

Michael

#10 Greg H.

Greg H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 12:26 AM

Sorry Jbenenson, but I disagree. I have downloaded Leadercalc and make my own labels (two tone green) with notes on materials. & usage, and I even include "hand tied by Greg H" on the label. Labels are on page two of the Leadercalc workbook. At the website there is an extensive article on leaders and knots, with a bibliography (the links work too), and additional suggested reading. I didn't stop to count, but the spreadsheet has about 25 leaders listed, which is enough for me.

My view is that it is an excellent source of information. BadKarma thinks there are too many knots, but there is one formula there with only 5 knots (or is it 5 segments). Anyway no big deal if you want to start learning about what makes a good leader for YOUR casting style.

#11 mhackney

mhackney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 07:52 AM

I've been using the free LeaderCalc and it is truye that you can print nice looking labels. I was hoping to be able to change the colors on the label - they are fixed shades of green.

One thing I would highly recommend is a blood knot tool. I picked up the Dennison Leader Making Vise for about $6 and it saves a lot of time, ties more consistent knots and allows you to place the knots more accurately. I've tied blood knots by hand but when tying 4, 5 or more knots per leader this little device is great.

Cheers,
Michael