Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How do you figure out a flyline without a box?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:49 PM

I was just blessed by a brother at church with a big box of tying stuff he found in the effects of a relative who has passed on. He knew that I tie so he gave it to me! In the box was a fly line that was rolled up and tied with a twist tie as if it just came out of the box. What I want to know is how I can figure out what this line is in weight and dimensions. WF, F, S.... 4,10...all that stuff. Is there a way? It seems to be in decent shape and I'd like to use it.

I don't mind experimenting with it 'til I find out as much as I can through use, but I don't know the handling characteristics of many different lines and my inquisitive mind like to know precise measurements whenever possible.
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!

#2 Carlin

Carlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:51 PM

For the line weight, all you need to do is weigh it on an accurate scale. Here is a chart that shows the AFTMA line weights and the amount they should weigh.

As for whether it is a WF or DT, you can either mic the line in, say, around 1 foot increments, and if you find that after the initial taper the line is level, you've got a DT, otherwise it is a WF. You can also probably eyeball the taper by just pulling it through your hands and watching the taper. If it is a WF, there should be a fairly obvious taper down around the 20-30' area.

For floating or sinking, just chuck it in some water and find out. rolleyes.gif

#3 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 02:05 PM

Cool! Thanks Carl. I'll use the scale at the post office 'cause I gotta go mail some bills anyway, and we KNOW there won't be any dicrepancy there...

For floating vs. sinking, does it matter if I uncoil it first?

My eyeballs are pretty untrustworty, but I'll give the line a once-over to see if I can tell what's up. Thanks fot the tips! I'll post what I figure out. By the way, it's a very light Tan/opaque line.
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!

#4 rogerstg

rogerstg

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:07 PM

Just remember that the weight is for just the first 30 feet, excluding the level tip.

#5 flyfishenvy

flyfishenvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 07:23 PM

someone sells a scale, but i cant remember what company it is now. check with your local fly shop and they might have one that you could possibly use.

#6 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 02:34 PM

If you know someone who reloads ammunition they will have a scale that weighs grains. You can weigh with a balance, if thats what they have, by extending it over the edge of a table and hanging the line off of the dish.
Taney County, Missouri