Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Spey Rods

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alaska_King

Alaska_King

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:22 PM

My interest in spey rods has been going on for sometime now and I think I am going to buy one now. I was looking either at a TT or a Sage. It will either be for trout or salmon I'm not sure yet as to what weight. I was wondering if anybody uses a spey rod or what people have to say about them.

Don

#2 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:39 PM

I loved mine. Only reason I sold mine was because of being off injured and needed to liquidate rods. I had a few, but my favorite was an older model Sage 9140-3. It was an awesome rod, used it for steelhead and most salmon. Loved the rod. Used/owned the older Cabela's, couple Loomis, and rest were Sages.

They are great rods to use. I only used them on my "bank maggot" days. In the boats, I only used a single hander. But would always keep one in the boat for those stretches were I could get out. Great for mending line, or fishing those areas with alot of overgrowth that would limit your backcast. My only word of advice is to find someone who knows what they're doing and have them help you. Speeds up the learning curve alot. Trying to learn on your own is great, but a watching eye can really speed up little mistakes you'll make.

#3 Shaq

Shaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:41 PM

Bought a CND Spey rod last April. UNlike the European actions of the T&T and Sage rods, the CND's are a traditional action, much softer. I use it in the Great LAkes for STeelhead/salmon and smallmouth bass. I am totally satisfied. The weight you should get depends not so much on what you may be fishing for, but more on the type of water you are fishing. All Spey ROds, even a ten weight will bend forever. The questions you need to ask are, how far do I need to cast, am I going to be throwing heavy sink tips? over hand (Saltwater) or traditional casting, how big are the flies ect. Mines a 13 foot 7wt and perfect for our smaller streams and rivers which the steelies run in NY. but if I was out west and throwing heavy tios, I would go to a 14-15 foot nine or ten. same fish different conditions. After that, get The Gunn's Spey video to start, some will say GAwesworth but for a true beginner, simon seems to talk over your head. after you master the casts on the Gunn's video, graduate to the International Video. Hope this helps, spey fishing is by far the most fun I have had alone in some time
www.theanglersnet.com

#4 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:53 PM

Shaq, Sage also makes a slower action rod. The 9140-3 is great for tossing tips, a pure cannon of a rod. The 9140-4 was a slower action. Had both at one time. Sage has quite the variety of rods to suite all needs. Most of the rod companies do, not just CND. Plus, there are quite a few companies now starting to make the lower cost rods like CND. Loomis has some now that are in the lower end cost spectrum, but heard they are excellent rods. May look into them when I start rebuying my speys. Not sure yet though. So many out there now, hard to choose.

#5 Alaska_King

Alaska_King

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for the information it helped alot.

Don

#6 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:23 PM

No problem. I've found it's best to find a shop that carries them, and water test a few. You won't know what you like until you try it. I found I hated the older Loomis rods, but loved the cheaper Cabela's ones (they were the made in the USA ones). When I got my Sage though, I fell in love (the 9140-3). Got a deal on the 4 piece model, but never used it much, too slow for my taste. Now after the revamp at Loomis, and all the other rod companies making them, I'm going to be doing ALOT of casting to see what I like. Luckily, I have a speyshop nearby (it's actually a store BASED on spey only, so have a wide variety of stuff to try out).

Still have my eye on some Meiser rods though. May splurge and get one. Maybe one named after my good friend, the FES series.

#7 Shaq

Shaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 09:10 AM

Not touting CND on purpose, it's just that I have one and thats' it. A good buddy of mine has an older Sage and had I been around when you were selling yours I would have been in the running to buy it. I have also heard that the TFO's are decent for the price as well. I have no complaints about the CND but granted have no point of refference about others. I was just thinking of the new 1308 sage which approaches $800. Something that my wife will never let me put down on a rod. I casted one though, they had to pry it out of my hands wink.gif As all rods. definately cast a number of them, attend a fly fishing show and cast them side by side. find the ones that fit
www.theanglersnet.com