Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Palming Reels

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you palm your reel?

Do you palm your reel?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:40 PM

When I started fly fishing I palmed my reel because I'm used to a centerpin reel with no drag. I tried using just the drag but old habits die hard so now I set it to 'medium-light' and palm for extra pressure. Works well for me for steelhead and salmon at least.

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,321 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:44 PM

My trout reel i'll palm if I get a decent fish in fast water. My salmon and steelhead reel I'll try to let the drag do the work most of the time but there always is the need for palming when a good fish takes a big head of steam and runs for the logs and ya gotta palm it and hope the leader holds biggrin.gif

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 nightfish

nightfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 09:53 AM

I set my drag just tight emough to prevent backlash, and if I need more when playing a hot fish I'll apply some rim control.

#4 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 11:26 AM

It depends on the fish. For trout on light tippets I will palm (actually I use my finger tips). But for big, fast saltwater fish I let the drag do all the work. There is nothing more painful that having the reel handle slap your knuckles when a Tarpon or Permit is ripping off line.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#5 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 07:17 PM

You gotta do what you gotta do
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#6 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:06 AM

Ditto what Troutbum said, but replace tarpon and permit with stripers and albies.
Mark

#7 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 05:45 PM

I palmed, until i went to Michigan to Salmon/Steelhead fish. These were the first fish I was exposed to that could make long runs. I also found out I could'nt wade, chasing a fish, and palm. So I made sure I had good drags the next time.
Taney County, Missouri

#8 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:24 AM

ohmy.gif My question is: How did they fight fish back in the day when there was only ratcheting and click and pawl type drags? Answer: They fought fish like MEN! What's a few blisters for the memory of the fish of a lifetime?!? Ok, ok, I can't talk 'cause the biggest thing I ever caught on a fly rod was a 10 pound channel cat. It sure stressed my 5wt though laugh.gif Ya'll are spoiled! That's why I like trout fishing...a 4wt will always be sufficient, not like the logs you guys gotta wave around to get your adrenaline fix.

A.A.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.