Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly Lines - Which one?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BFA

BFA

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:01 PM

Hi all

I'm currently looking for a weight forward floating line to match my 8wt Sage XP...Haven't settled on any brand or make yet. I'm looking for something that can cast comfortably within the 50 foot range with pretty good accuracy but need be, I would be able to shoot a whole whack of line off? I'll be using this line mostly for steelhead and salmon in rivers but also pike and carp from my friend's flats skiff...Is there an all around line that blends average distance/accuracy and just plain distance together in one?

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks a bunch

#2 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:09 PM

I really have been impressed with the sage performance taper. I have been using it for 2 years now and it still casts great.
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#3 Gregor

Gregor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 04:25 PM

If I were you I would choose Cortland 444sl WF8...
I use it together with my Sage #6 too.

CATCH for pleasure - PHOTO for memory - RELEASE for future
www.facebook.com/gregorkriznikflyfishing

#4 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:45 PM

S.A. GPX and Rio Grand will load that rod nicely at normal distance and have the punch and thin running line for throwing the whole line. They are supposed to be a 1/2 weight heavier than usual though the Rio seems heavier still.
The S.A. XXD seems to be a combination distance/fishing line. It loads nicely and has a nice long head for carrying lots of line. My only dislike is the super thin running line. It hovers in the water more than floats.

#5 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:05 PM

wink.gif 2ND for the S.A. GPX !

A.A.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.