Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Anyone Tie Their Own Leaders?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dornug

Dornug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:36 AM

I found this interesting site that I had lost for a while. I've been thinking of doing my own leaders and couldn't find where I saw the formulas before. Just found them while browsing and thought I'd post it for all to see.

http://www.highcount...derformula.html
Fly fishing is like sex. The first time is never like you thought it would be, but you never forget it. You get better with experience. You think about it alot. You do it when ever you can until you die. You always have fun no matter what.
....JStarbrite....

#2 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the info Dornug.

I tie my own leaders using different tippet sizes. I usually go with 3'/9lb 3'/6lb 3'/3lb and no real method behind it.
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams

#3 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:35 PM

Ya, I can switch from a #6 weighted woolly bugger to a #16 hair's ear so my leaders are pretty basic. As long as the fly lands somewhere on water I'm happy!

#4 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:22 PM

I just started and love it. I think they turn over so much better and will be so much cheaper in the long run. Can't wait to try a big heavy butted one on the 6wt for larger smallmouth bugs it is supposed to turn over better.

FM
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#5 Dornug

Dornug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:20 PM

I was looking for a site like this for quite some time to make some shorter leaders for my 6'6 2 wt. It seemed the leaders were always pretty long to turn over a dry with such a short stick. The problem was that you cut off the ends where the thinnest diameter is. So I was stuck with a thicker diameter near the fly even with some tippet tied in (so it wasn't truly a tapered leader any longer). I was going to tie some short ones for this rod.

Now I'm trading the rod in for the 7'9 version so I don't know if I'll need to tie my own but I'm keeping the site handy. It will be something else to keep me busy when not on the river.
Fly fishing is like sex. The first time is never like you thought it would be, but you never forget it. You get better with experience. You think about it alot. You do it when ever you can until you die. You always have fun no matter what.
....JStarbrite....

#6 Greg H.

Greg H.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 12:28 AM

Also see 'Leader Help' on this page (probably just above or below this thread).