Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Orvis Wonderline

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: How many use this line

How many use this line

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fishigan

Fishigan

Is that a chick?...Yesss..NOOO!!....Yesss!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:54 AM

In hast I left this line off the other pole so I'll do it now and calculate it in.
I think the partridge is new and in the UK.

#2 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:24 PM

From what I've read, the Orvis Wonderline only comes in sinking versions laugh.gif

#3 Fishigan

Fishigan

Is that a chick?...Yesss..NOOO!!....Yesss!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:48 PM

I just got back from Ann Arbor with my new Battenkill reel. Sweeeet!
I have it spooled with the Orvis Silver Label line. The price was right.
Also got a free crawfish fly for driving an hour to get to the shop and a gaurentee on free shipping for anything I'd like in the future.
Also have to say I looked at some real sweet wooden rod cases and fly boxes. Also some fine boo.
Enjoyed every bit of my 45min visit at Colton Bay.

#4 Mr. Trout

Mr. Trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 06:37 PM

Bought a WF5F wonderline for my resident trout fishing last summer, I love it. But then I did upgrade from a fairly cheap, used SA line.

#5 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:17 PM

I have a wf5f wonder-why -the -hell I bought it line which will prolly get trashed here soon. I have bought 2 of them in the past a 4 and a 5 and they both didn't hold up as claimed. Gimmee SA mastery series or nada. Just my 2cts.

They lose their slickness (even following recommended cleaning and storage) in a season and one cracked prematurely. They also tend to have quite a bit of memory and are not good for temps below 50*F. Good luck with these...maybe I just got a bad lot dunno.gif ive_been_ripped.gif wallbash.gif huh.gif

A.A.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.

#6 Mr. Trout

Mr. Trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 01:24 PM

I did buy mine late in the season, for the price I hope it last me longer than one or two years. Actually thinking about it now I do remember it having alot of memory.

#7 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:42 PM

the advantage is some better now the other was really bad for memory. i live the superfine series on my full flex 9 ft 4wt it is a really soft casting line for dry flies. I did have some problems with is coiling up not memory coils but wrapping up i quess. I think it is my cast but orvis did replace 2 lines before i decided that . They are nice to deal with and told ma any future problem to call them the fishing guru gave me a email addy for questions so i am pretty happy now. I found to just straighten it between trips and it works well. I fish in the same spot about all day casting dries and that makes it coil up alitlle i guess but overall satisfied.

FM
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#8 jcstikfish

jcstikfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:55 AM

I use an Orvis Wonderline running line behing a shooting head system in the salt. Definately a quality line. My only gripe is that the diameter is a little big for a shooting/running line function.

~James
www.autumnbrookangling.com
Custom Flies and NJ Guide Service