Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Good Rods?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 wahl.flies

wahl.flies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 01:28 PM

I am looking to get a new Fly Rod. I need an 9ft, 8/9 weight, 3 or 4 piece rod Med-fast action. I have a Redington that i use now and its about 3 years old it works great but im just ready for somethinhg new. I use it for saltwater usually for redfish and Speckled Trout. My budget for the rod is around $350.00. Any suggestions on rods you have had good experience with? dunno.gif

#2 cornmuse

cornmuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (wahl.flies @ Mar 16 2005, 01:28 PM)
I am looking to get a new Fly Rod. I need an 9ft, 8/9 weight, 3 or 4 piece rod Med-fast action. I have a Redington that i use now and its about 3 years old it works great but im just ready for somethinhg new. I use it for saltwater usually for redfish and Speckled Trout. My budget for the rod is around $350.00. Any suggestions on rods you have had good experience with? dunno.gif

I've got an Orvis Silverlabel TLS 908-4 and I've been just tickled with it. Had it for 4 years now - midflex 6.5. It really likes to throw a 9wt, though it is just fine with the 8wt intermediate as well. I also use an 8wt double taper for down-and-across striper fishing with streamers, an 8.5 wt WF Clouser for bugs, and a Teeny 300 grain sink-tip cut back from 24 feet to 20 feet for deep work. Excellent warranty and competitively priced. Orvis just sent their newsletter out and the SL TLS series is on sale - you can get the 8 wt for about $250. MSRP was $345 I think.

Joe C.
"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit,
and resign yourself to the influences of each."
- Henry David Thoreau

Visit Fly Fish Ohio for great fly fishing and fly tying articles, the "Adventures in Fly Tying" monthly video podcast and the "Adventures in Fly Fishing" monthly audio podcast. The Midwest isn't a place you fly over to get to good fishing - it's right here in our own backyards.

Think globally - fish locally.

#3 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:22 PM

Check out the Temple Fork rods. their Lefty Kreh models are very nice and in the price range you're looking for. A four piece 8 wt. Ticr model is $234.95, I have casted the 7 wt. and it is an very good rod.

Another option is the G. Loomis GL3 model. I'm not sure how much they are but they are great casting rods.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#4 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,321 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:57 PM

Sage VPS series is right around that price range as well. I hav been using a 9' 8wt Sage VPS for about 7 yrs now and its been a great rod with a fantastic action to it.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#5 Carlin

Carlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:30 PM

Madison River Fishing Co. has the Winston LTX and Boron XTR on sale for around the $350 mark. Might be a bit faster action than you want, but either is an awesome rod.

#6 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:37 PM

I agree with troutbum, the new temple fork rods are pretty sweet. I also like the Sage Xi2 rods. If you are on a budget thoug temple fork is the way to go, sage is pretty expensive.
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,321 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 05:26 PM

On the subject of Sage they have also just recently came out with the LE series of rods that are very economicly priced and still have the good quality.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#8 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:40 PM

My friend has an LE but they are no where near the quality of bargain as the temple fork rods.
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#9 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:09 AM

Temple Fork. Hands down.

#10 Dble Haul

Dble Haul

I LOVE SD!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:19 AM

Three letters:

TFO

biggrin.gif
Mark

#11 fcflyguy

fcflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:09 PM

TFO is the way to go headbang.gif
fcflyguy
tied to throw not for show

#12 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:01 PM

The other day I walked into my freinds house he was looking through a Sage catalog saying this is the one I want ...or maybe that one . He told me I could have the catalog to look at it so I rolled it up and put it in my pocket. The first thing that I said was Temple Fork Outfiters......... Check them out!
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#13 jasonk

jasonk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:43 AM

id go for a sage fli, a fast action sage for a decent price...you cant loose.
as nice as the tfo rods are the sage is much better. other than that id go for the echo rods slighty nicer than the tfos and they come with a case.

#14 wahl.flies

wahl.flies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:22 AM

OK so i have the choice between two rods now which will be either a TFO or sage. Im leaning towards the TFO TiCr X, i will let you guys know what i chose.

Thanks for the suggestions,

-Shawn

#15 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:58 PM

>>Madison River Fishing Co. has the Winston LTX and Boron XTR on sale for around the $350 mark. Might be a bit faster action than you want, but either is an awesome rod.<<

Do not overlook these! These rods aren't the rods you eventually step up to, these rods put you there!
The are PERFECTLY made in Montana by real, true-to-life Americans and express the finest craftsmanship America, and probably the world, has to offer.
If you can, get out and cast the rods you are considering to see which fits your particular style the best. Getting past the looks and the 'brand name' and who endorses them, the action and feel of the rod should be your key deciding factor.
After that, good resale value is nice as is a good warranty.

At that price I would take the XTR WELL before the TFO.
If only you had the opportunity to do an A/B comparison! That would show you the difference between marketing 'buzz' and the real thing!