Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Any creative ways to label flyboxes?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:13 AM

I bought 3 of the waterproof C&F boxes through some of our recent group purchases and now face the confusion of keeping the contents visible without opening them.

One is primarily for streamers, one for nymphs and the other for dries. I thought of tying one of each and somehow attaching it to the latch, perhaps by encapsulating it in some type of epoxy. dunno.gif

Any other ideas?
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#2 Bamboo

Bamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:30 AM

Shoe-

I have the same boxes, same problems. I just used a label maker and labeled them dries, wets and other.

This is working good now but after I get out the first time this year, I'm sure I'll have the flies spread all over the boxes. help.gif I'm kind of hopeless when it comes to staying organized.

-Bamboo
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

#3 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:33 AM

SHOE

I just use the better half nail polish and paint the latches red for streamets etc etc

works for me

tight lines Mike
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)

#4 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:37 AM

I hear ya, 'Boo

We found a neat little contraption in Mountain Home. It's a small alumnium box with ripple foam that attaches to one's vest much like a patch, but has holes around the edges to allow the flies to dry. Too bad we didn't buy them...lol

Mine always end up falling out of the patch, down the defroster and either end up in my wife's foot or on the dog. bugeyes.gif crying.gif

Thanks Mike. I've done the same on my other boxes, but wanted something unique
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#5 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:54 AM

My niece solved my problem...

She put fuzzy stickers on them...not the most clear labeling method but it works.

I have a Hazel sticker on my box of nymphs - since most of them are Hare's ears.

An umberella on dries

And a big fish on my streamer box

Best part is that at night you can feel the sticker so you know the orientation of the bow and which one it is.
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#6 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:49 PM

Using epoxy to put a fly on the box is a different idea ralf that sound kind cool. Just make sure you share your flies with that crew you fish with or you might hear a chipping sound as Dornug is chiseling the nymph out of the epoxy to use tongue.gif

Also craft stores carry some nice looking adhesive lettering that would be nice for labeling the box

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts