Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Leader to Fly line

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mid-Tenn-Bug

Mid-Tenn-Bug

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:56 AM

Fairly new to Fly fishing , so be easy.

What type of knot do you use when tying the leader to the fly line.

Does anyone ever use those barbed eye inserts ?

When fishing for bluegill and panfish I have just tied a loop in the fly line and attached the leader to it, as if it was an eylet, they don't seem to mind. In the past I have always caught my trout on spinners or bottom fishing with bait.
Last year I made myself only take my fly rod to trout fish, after (5) small white bass I finally caught my first rainbow. I think I would have had better results with a clean knot at the leader.

Recently I began tying my own flies. Nymphs patterns have come much easier to master than drys.

Thanks,

MTB

#2 atroutbum2

atroutbum2

Swapaholic wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:30 PM

In the books that ive read, the recomended knot is a nail knot for the flyline/leader connection. Tied correctly, its a very strong knot.

http://www.killroys.com/knots/nail.htm

I have used the braided loop connections sold in the shops for years now and am very satisified with them, remember to put a drop of super glue on the end so it will stay on, some even come with shrink tubing to use insted.

When i was very young, and knew nothing about flyfishing, i used the barbed eye inlets, i do not recomend them. I have used the plastic football shaped line/leader connections. They broke after a few times on the water.

If a man speaks in the woods, and no woman is there to hear it. Is he still wrong?

Stupid should hurt.

#3 Brewer

Brewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:31 PM

i agree, im having trouble with my dries too!

#4 Frank G. Swarner III

Frank G. Swarner III

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:36 PM

You have a few different options depending what you prefer.

Option 1 - Braided leader connector (come in a package of 3-6 depending on mfr). Works like a Chinese finger puzzle. Slide provided sleeve onto fly line first. Inchworm the braided connector completely onto the line. Place a drop of zap-a-gap onto the brad where the sleeve is to be and slide the sleeve into position. Use a loop to loop connection between leader and braided leader connector.

Option 2 - Take a piece of 20#-30# mono about a foot long(only need 4"-6" when finished, extra length makes it easier to work with) and use a nail knot to attach it to the leader. Trim the tags. Tie a Perfection Loop in the mono that is about 4"-6" away from the fly line. Use a loop to loop connection between leader and 20#-30# mono.

There are other methods, knots etc., but these are straight forward and effective.

~Chip

Not all fisherman are liars.........there's just alot of liars who fish.

#5 Mid-Tenn-Bug

Mid-Tenn-Bug

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for the info. I have not seen the braided connector. For awhile I was in the Bass Pro Fly shop once a week buying different materials, I will look the next time I'm in there. I printed off the directons for the "nail knot", I will practice it tonight.

Thanks again

#6 Michigan Trout Guy

Michigan Trout Guy

Young man there's no need to feel down, I said young man, so your new in this town, I said young man...It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:53 PM

I tie mine the way Fish-N-Chip was describing. If you do it that way, it's very easy when you need to change your leader. Just take leader out of the loop connected to the fly line, tie a perfection loop in your new leader, slide it on, and away you go.

It seems to save me a lot of time, which leaves more for fishing! headbang.gif
Today a man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration, and that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively. Life is only a dream with the imagination of ourselves...........here's Tom with the weather.

-Bill Hicks (Thanks whippersnapper ;)

#7 Michigan Trout Guy

Michigan Trout Guy

Young man there's no need to feel down, I said young man, so your new in this town, I said young man...It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:54 PM

(the way he was describing in option two that is biggrin.gif )
Today a man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration, and that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively. Life is only a dream with the imagination of ourselves...........here's Tom with the weather.

-Bill Hicks (Thanks whippersnapper ;)

#8 Sawcat

Sawcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:14 PM

Yep Mono Loop all the way.

#9 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:12 PM

Hey welcome aboard! So are you form Tenn.? I live in Southwest VA. I have a opinion I use the loop to loop method with the slip on braided loops. That is what comes factory on Orvis wonderlines. I ave used the loops of year before though. I put them on myself. But do put a little crazy glue on the braid to lock it on and check them for your own self assurance. But if you aren't sure hwo to do the perfection loop heres a site and links to about any other knot you will need http://shoreangling4...guide/id26.html let me know where ya fron if in Tenn. I fish down there alot.

FM headbang.gif
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#10 Redhook

Redhook

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:43 AM

Msg for Troutbum2 and all others. I'm new at this game and was wondering why you do not recommend the barbed eyelets? I find them easy to use and haven't had a problem with them yet. I haven't caught any thing over 3 lbs though...
Explain in detail please !

#11 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 05:48 AM

I used the barbed inserts but found that they rust over time. Next, I went to putting the leader directly to the line, However, I had to cut about an inch of line to replace the leader. I won an outfit at our TU chapter Christmas party two years ago. It had Orvis line with the short loop attached. I like it so well I changed all my lines and my son's lines to the short loop. Do a Google search and look for "Borger's Nailless Nail Knot." It is simple to tie and you don't have to have any gadget to tie it. With real heavy butts, it can try your patience but it can be done. I have tied it for friends at streamside. Hint- don't put the wraps up against each other. Allow a tiny space for the line to show through...the leader grips better and less likely to slip. Enjoy your flyfishing and tying! headbang.gif

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#12 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:24 AM

dave whitlock has a method for doing a no knot setup. check out his site. just google dave whitlock..The problem with the braided conn. is its heavy.I wouldn't use it on anything lighter than 5wt. the nail knot would be better. also watch using ca glues they do break down in time and let water into the end of the line then you will have a tip that wont float. try a good rubber based glue on top of the ca glue(goop) to seal the end of the line. also a good water proofing will help too (water shed)

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#13 jcstikfish

jcstikfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:06 AM

I go with a needle knot, in which the leader butt comes directly out of the flyline. With a little UV knot sense added, the leader/line junction can smoothly slide through the guides.

~James
www.autumnbrookangling.com
Custom Flies and NJ Guide Service

#14 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:32 AM

I go with a needle knot

How far into the line do you penetrate before letting the needle come out the side? Is it hard pulling the leader through? What size needle do you use? Where were you on 6-24-1987? biggrin.gif

#15 jcstikfish

jcstikfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:03 PM

I go up the line about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. To make the leader butt insertion easier, I cut the end of it on a 45 degree angle with a razor blade. It still then takes a little working in but the smooth end result is worth it. Plus, how often do you have to do it?

As far as 1987............third grade!

~James
www.autumnbrookangling.com
Custom Flies and NJ Guide Service