Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Leader to Fly line

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:26 PM

THanks JC, I've been considering going with a needle instead of a nail knot cause it's supposed to be far superior as far as strength goes. But I've been starting to lean torward loop to loop connections due to being able to just throw on a sink tip to the end of my floating line for example if I need to

#17 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 03:16 PM

Braided mono loop connectors suck.

Loop to loop seems to be a largely accepted way to connect sections. A stiff mono butt either nail-knotted or needle-threaded to a fly line is prob. best., with non-slip loop to accept premade leader/tippet setups.

Good advice? pick up "Practical Fishing Knots" by Lefty Kreh and Mark Sosin. One of the best under $20 investments you could ever make. Great illustrations and explanations. You'll be a knot wizard in no time.

Skunk- I don't agree with that theory. Granted, the outer sleeve can and sometimes will pull a fly line coating away from it's core but, unless and until a pass with a needle is secured somehow, and not only with super glue, does it stand a chance of yanking out of the line coating too.

No flames, please - I realize everybody likes and does something different. I like nail knots.

#18 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:58 AM

Skunk- I don't agree with that theory. Granted, the outer sleeve can and sometimes will pull a fly line coating away from it's core but, unless and until a pass with a needle is secured somehow, and not only with super glue, does it stand a chance of yanking out of the line coating too.

Are you saying that you don't think a needle knot is stronger than a nail knot? dunno.gif I didn't really have a theory laugh.gif, but was told that the needle knot is stronger dunno.gif It just seemed to make sense that it would be. When you say the outer sleeve can pull a fly line coating away from it's core, what is the outer sleeve?

#19 jcstikfish

jcstikfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:27 AM

Remember, a needle knot is essentially a fancy nail knot. The only difference being that the butt travels inside the flyline for a tiny bit and comes out the end. As opposed to a nail not where it lays along the side of the fly line.

As far as strength goes, I would imagine they are exactly the same.

~James
www.autumnbrookangling.com
Custom Flies and NJ Guide Service

#20 chucky

chucky

HereFishyFishyFishy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:55 AM

Not sure about the strength issue....but another alternative is an Albright knot between the leader butt and the flyline. Of course I don't change leader butt sections very often. I'm also a fan of a knot between the flyline and leader instead of the loop to loop. The knot eliminates the hinge and helps me to straighten out my cast including the leader.

The knot also makes a pretty effective strike indicator for me since it has a little size to it but not enough to affect casting or fly action.

Just a thought....

Chucky

#21 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 02:16 PM

I've used just a nail knot and a mono loop nail knotted and perfection looped both worked great. Last year I found that my dries seemed to sit better when using the nail knot and not the mono loop but the mono loop was just as good and easier to switch with streamers and nymphs.

I don't like the premade loops they seem to slip off more and fray alot.
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams