Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xvigauge

Royal Coachman

It seems like there is a Royal Coachman everything; i.e. dry flies: feather wing, hair wing, Wulff, fan wing; streamer, and wet fly. I may have missed a few, but that's what I have in my box. Since I fish mostly with nymphs here in the Smoky Mountains, I started wondering about a Royal Coachman nymph. I had never heard of nor seen one, so I did a google search. Yes, they do exist, with or without a bead. So, I used what knowledge I have for tying a regular Royal Coachman and tied a Royal Coachman nymph. I will try them in the Little River when it gets warm enough to fish. Has anyone ever used such a nymph and if so, how did it work for you.

Joe

OK, I will try to post a pic. It may be a few days as I live way up in the mountains in the middle of nowhere and I don't have internet connections. I have to go to a local coffee shop to use my computer, but I will see what I can do. You can always google "royal coachman nymph" and some pics will come up . Mine are pretty close to those.

Joe

Coincidentally, I started a project this winter to tie different variations of the Royal Coachman. The main purpose was to improve and learn new tying skills. So far I have done a soft hackle, wet, trude, wulff and dry. Next, I'd like to try a salmon fly, streamer and maybe the original snelled version with wood duck wing and tail. I have also heard of royal humpy, madame X, prince and now, nymph. Looks like it might be a long winter.

post-59203-0-50424700-1515193469_thumb.jpg

post-59203-0-47304300-1515193571_thumb.jpg

post-59203-0-12982500-1515193602_thumb.jpg

You've hit one of my soft spots, I really like the Coachmen dries and the fish like those and the Royal Wulff both up north.. I've had some luck with the streamers too, for some reason never tried a wet fly though it should work fine. But I like tying them. Never knew there was a nymph or don't recall it anyway.

Here is a Gilt Coachman I tied a few weeks ago. While not a Royal Coachman variant, it is still in the Coachman family.

Jeff

post-59758-0-06698600-1515272784_thumb.jpg

Here is a Gilt Coachman I tied a few weeks ago. While not a Royal Coachman variant, it is still in the Coachman family.

Jeff

nice fly and photography

The Trude is one of my 'sure things'. Amazing how selective trout will break their single minded pursuits when one of those drifts over them.

Rocco

Next, I'd like to try a salmon fly, streamer and maybe the original snelled version with wood duck wing and tail. I have also heard of royal humpy, madame X, prince and now, nymph. Looks like it might be a long winter.

rcp1.JPG

rcp 2.JPG

rcp 3.JPG

I have also heard of royal humpy, madame X, prince and now, nymph. Looks like it might be a long winter.

Was wondering how you were coming on these?

Oops screwed up the quote function.

I think it was vicrider that tied up a royal coachman streamer for a swap a while back