Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

What's your PB?

Hey guys! As you know there can be some big fish out there. This post is where you can share your PB (personal best) of and fish. It can be either on a fly or not on a fly.

For me, my PB for trout on a fly is a tiny fish stick (10 inches), but on spinning gear my pb got all the way up to 17 inches. I know Mark would probably thing that's nothing, but for a pond that's 40x smaller than the lake he fishes at, that's pretty good.

For grayling I got a 20 incher once (spinning). My pb for a fly is 16 inches. I caught it in the clearwater when there was snow on the ground. The weird thing was that they were blowing up on dry flies at 40 degrees.

For halibut on spinning tackle I got a 82 pounder (Mark is probably laughing by now, because he caught a 92 pound halibut on a fly.)

I'm not even going to tell you what my PB rockfish is because it's so small.

I forgot what my pb cod is, i've never caught a flounder (everybody here is probably going to say "bruh").

My biggest silver salmon was a little over 2 feet long, and my biggest chum was 2 and a half feet long.

I don't have have a pb bass, pike (yep i've never caught a pike before), lingcod, the list goes on and on. My goal for now is to catch a bass and a pike Hopefully i'll get the bass when I go to arizona.

No, I'd never laugh at you. You're still toung and got most of your catching to do yet.

My personal best rainbow was a 28 1/2 inch, 7 pound trout through the ice.

My buddy caught the 92lb. halibut on the fly rod, but I tied the fly and made the fly line so I take half the credit for it. My personal best halibut was a 25 pounder on a 20 pound tippet.

This is my personal best lake trout, it was a 32 inch 13 pounder, on a five wt., catch and release.

20180720-085023.JPG

My best yelloweye rock fish on a fly was a 30 incher.

Certainly, there are others, these are the most memorable.

I'm sure I'll forget some but off top of my head some that were most memorable, on the fly and all here in Michigan...

Smallmouth- 21.5"

Largemouth- 20"

Chinook salmon- 41"

Steelhead- 34"

Brown trout- 20"

Stream rainbow- 20"

Brook trout- 11"

Pike- 34"

Lake trout- 34.5"

Oh yeah, the 38 1/2' 14 pound pike on a five wt.

mikes+c+040.jpg

I'm sure I'll forget some but off top of my head some that were most memorable, on the fly and all here in Michigan...

Smallmouth- 21.5"

Largemouth- 20"

Chinook salmon- 41"

Steelhead- 34"

Brown trout- 20"

Stream rainbow- 20"

Brook trout- 11"

Pike- 34"

Lake trout- 34.5"

Impressive.

That's a nice pike Mark. Looks even bigger than 38.5", guessing because it is so healthy and thick is why. That's one thing I want/try to do every fall is break the 36" mark for a pike on the fly. I could go out on Lake St Clair and do it pretty easy but I'm a river guy so I try to do it by my cabin on the Au Sable. Every November the pike bite is really good by the cabin and I always try to hit 36" there. Not been able to do it yet though, hopefully this is the year happy.png(fingers crossed)

That's a nice pike Mark. Looks even bigger than 38.5", guessing because it is so healthy and thick is why. That's one thing I want/try to do every fall is break the 36" mark for a pike on the fly. I could go out on Lake St Clair and do it pretty easy but I'm a river guy so I try to do it by my cabin on the Au Sable. Every November the pike bite is really good by the cabin and I always try to hit 36" there. Not been able to do it yet though, hopefully this is the year happy.png(fingers crossed)

I'm rooting for ya. That's a river pike there, from the Innoko river, world famous for big pike. They are quite often over 40 inches there. I'm still trying for one.

I'm mor into the experience these days, but from what I remember as the most memorable and all caught on a fly

Lake Trout (Grey); 45# (weighed in net) C&R, picture and fly framed in my office, Great Bear Lake, NWT

LakeTrout (Red Fin): 15#, eaten for shore lunch. Great Bear Lake NWT

Grayling: 4#, 23" Stuffed and on wall in study. Great Bear Lake,NWT

Walleye: 8#, Stuffed and on wall in study. Won F&G walleye of the year. Lesser Slave Lake, AB

Brown Trout: 26" C&R Bow River, AB with guide Barry White

Rainbow Trout 25" C&R Bow River AB as above and repeated Maligne Lake AB C&R

Rocky Mountain Whitefish:P 2#, Eaten, Cow Creek AB

Tarpon: big, caught but not landed Sob,Sob, broke me off after about 15 minutes, Beleze

Doug

Here's the best of my memory.

I caught some fish in Indiana, when I lived there.

South Carolina, North Carolina, Massachusetts, California, Arizona, Texas, Florida and Georgetown, Guyana. I've caught fish in all of those places and more, since I can't remember all the places I've wet a line.

Some were good sized fish of different species.

The fish distinctly I remember:

A 6 foot Hammer Head Shark off the coast of North Carolina, on a $34.00 salt water combo from Walmart.

The bass in my avatar. A 9 pound, 13 ounce Largemouth from Lake Dupont in Deltona, FL.

My best trout with fly rod is 20 inches, rainbow and brown. Brook trout about 14 inches. Smallmouth Bass several 20 inch fish in Northern Ontario. Best largemouth bass is 21 inches. Sunfish and crappies,10 inches or so. Yellow perch, 14 inches, Chain pickerel, 21 inches. Pike, 28 inches, Grass pickerel, 10 inches. Salt water not much, Striped bass and bluefish, 24 inches, black sea bass, 12 inches, no flounder, weakfish, 18 inches, sea robin, 16 inches.

sea robin

I actually had to look that up, never even heard of that before. Pretty cool looking fish.

In an ugly sort of way. They're actually marine sculpins. One of the great trash fish of my youth fishing in Barnegat Bay when I was really fishing for snapper bluefish. (The other was blowfish.)

Philly -- Who measures them?

sea robin

I actually had to look that up, never even heard of that before. Pretty cool looking fish.

In an ugly sort of way. They're actually marine sculpins. One of the great trash fish of my youth fishing in Barnegat Bay when I was really fishing for snapper bluefish. (The other was blowfish.)

It was probably the biggest sea robin that I ever caught. So I measured it. I considered them trash fish, but I had read an article in a fishing magazine I get about "trash" fish which included sea robins and blow fish, and how to clean them and cook them up. So I kept this one. You get two nice fillets from them, but they are a pain to fillet. Dipped them in an egg mix, dredged them in a mix of fine corn meal and Wondra flour, fried them up. Nice firm white meat. Pretty tasty.

sea robin

It was probably the biggest sea robin that I ever caught. So I measured it. I considered them trash fish, but I had read an article in a fishing magazine I get about "trash" fish which included sea robins and blow fish, and how to clean them and cook them up. So I kept this one. You get two nice fillets from them, but they are a pain to fillet. Dipped them in an egg mix, dredged them in a mix of fine corn meal and Wondra flour, fried them up. Nice firm white meat. Pretty tasty.

Those look like irish lord! they're both sculpins, so that makes sense

Lets see..

Conventional:

Largemouth 10lb 4ozon the wallsee poor pic

Snook. 53 in.

Mudfish (bowfin) 11.3won $100 trash fish bonus during bass tourney

Alligator gar. Around 5 1/2ft.

Long nose gar around 5ft.

Channel cat. 32 in. got a certificate from fwc

Peacock bass. See pic. unknown measurements and weight. 4lbs. Maybe

Tarpon. Around 5 ft.

Shellcracker (red-ear sunfish) 13 in. Got a certificate from fwc.

Stumpknocker (Spotted sunfish)12in. Certificate as well

On fly

Largemouth around 7lbs. See pic

Brown trout. 18 in

Rainbow trout 16in

Specked perch ( crappie) 12 in. See pic

Theres many more species of fish.. with no idea of pb

post-59266-0-22054100-1581792582_thumb.jpeg

post-59266-0-39057800-1581792619_thumb.jpeg

post-59266-0-55887100-1581792642_thumb.jpeg

post-59266-0-58909100-1581792682_thumb.jpeg

post-59266-0-59699400-1581793995_thumb.jpeg