Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SoCalRoc

Airbrush for flies (feather&fur - not poppers)

I was wondering if anybody has airbrushed color on their flies, not styrofoam or balsa wood but bucktail, dubbing or synthetics? Curious about if that might last longer than the markers? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks guys!!!

I was wondering if anybody has airbrushed color on their flies, not styrofoam or balsa wood but bucktail, dubbing or synthetics? Curious about if that might last longer than the markers? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks guys!!!

Yes, on synthetics such as EP Fibers.

I'm using the Copic Marker Dyes.

You can buy them in a bottle and use them

to refill your markers or in an airbrush.

Kimo

No reason why not, but I think most would use permanent markers instead because they are quicker, cheaper, and require fewer moving parts. As Kimo mentions, I've seen videos of folks using Copic markers on streamers so check youtube.com.

The real question is why do you ask (the OP that is) and what effect are you trying to achieve?

I don't airbrush anything, so I can't add to the discussion. Just chiming in to welcome you to the site, SoCalRoc.

No reason why not, but I think most would use permanent markers instead because they are quicker, cheaper, and require fewer moving parts. As Kimo mentions, I've seen videos of folks using Copic markers on streamers so check youtube.com.

The real question is why do you ask (the OP that is) and what effect are you trying to achieve?

I am eventually planning on getting into painting some balsa wood poppers, I figured if I had the airbrush and a stencil I could kill two birds with one stone.

I am eventually planning on getting into painting some balsa wood poppers, I figured if I had the airbrush and a stencil I could kill two birds with one stone.

Go with a 5# CO2 tank and a regulator.

Those little cans of CO2 are expensive and don't last long.

You could also go with a compressor from Harbor Freight.

If you go with a CO2 tank make sure it has been certified lately.

They have to be re-certified every 5 years. That electrostatic test is expensive.

Also, CO2 tanks are easy to get refilled because kraft brewing is such a big deal.

I just had my tanks refilled. I just switch them out with a local welding supply company.

Kimo

I use Prismacolor and Copic markers sometimes on streamers. Yoiu can blend the color into the streamer material (laser dub, craft hair, etc.) for a more "fishy" look. Like using some red for gills, or brown for barring on a head or back. Never used an airbrush. Sounds cool though. You can see some marker coloration on these two (if you look closely)

post-61480-0-75585100-1538783963_thumb.jpg

post-61480-0-92650200-1538784022_thumb.jpg

I use Prismacolor and Copic markers sometimes on streamers. Yoiu can blend the color into the streamer material (laser dub, craft hair, etc.) for a more "fishy" look. Like using some red for gills, or brown for barring on a head or back. Never used an airbrush. Sounds cool though. You can see some marker coloration on these two (if you look closely)

One more note.
There is a way to blend or gradate the colors instead of using
an airbrush. Copic as well as the other manufacturers make a marker called a "Blender".
https://www.copicmarker.com/pages/colorless-blender-101
What it does is moisten the dye colors so you can mix the colors or pull them into the color next to them.
This colorless blender is filled with the solvent used by the marker.
For Copic you can use alcohol. For Prismacolor and ChartPak it is Naptha.

Kimo

One more note.

There is a way to blend or gradate the colors instead of using

an airbrush. Copic as well as the other manufacturers make a marker called a "Blender".

https://www.copicmarker.com/pages/colorless-blender-101

What it does is moisten the dye colors so you can mix the colors or pull them into the color next to them.

This colorless blender is filled with the solvent used by the marker.

For Copic you can use alcohol. For Prismacolor and ChartPak it is Naptha.

Kimo

Thank you Kimo. Great info. I try to blend while the dye is till wet. A bit more working time would be just what the doctor ordered.