Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salmobytes

ZeeWulffs

ZeeWulffs

My brown neck is all used up and a new one is $60 bucks for Bronze grade. Gimme a break. I might be done with expensive feathers. All my life I couldn't afford them. Now I can. And now I don't seem to want them anymore.
I use Wulffs mostly for a bobber this time of year, with an itty bitty BWOlive trailing behind--that I can't see because I'm old and my eyesight is--defective. These two are made with two colors of Zelon. Black and White.
up-2018-10-11-19.00.33_DMap_ZeeWulffs.jp
The hackles are a fabric cement dubbing loop. Make the loop. Wet the two thread legs of the loop with fabric cement. Load the fibers. Twist it a little but not much. Put a thin film of fabric cement on the shank. Wind the dubbing loop, pulling forward facing fibers back with each wrap. Whip finish.
Now pull all the fibers forward and trim with scissors so they're all the same length. Push the fibers back. Groom it with a toothbrush. Set it aside. Once the fabric cement sets the hackle fibers keep their right-angles-to-the-shank orientation. And stay putt too.
Will these float well enough? We'll see. I hope so anyway. I'll fishing'em next week.
:=))

I'm a prototype maker rather than a craftsman. Now that I can't see my flies are more ragged than ever. Here's the Royal ZeeWulff. For what it's worth.
A Brown Zelon fabric cement dubbing loop keeps the hackle locked in place. You have to twist the dubbing loop only a few turns in order to keep the hackle-like appearance, which by itself would make a fly whose hackles eventually come out. But a little fabric cement fixes it.
Widow's Web wings as one strand pulled up around the shank from both sides, in order to make two wings.
I didn't have moose main for the tail so I used Mule Deer.
up-2018-10-12-09.25.07_DMap_Royal-Wulffm

They look good to me and I believe they will catch fish. It is a real thrill to me when someone comes up with an alternative that works for less money. Good job.

Joe

Hi guys,

I love the look of the Zee Wulffs. Question: How do you apply the Zelon hackle? Spin it around the hook? Use a dubbing loop? Or???? I look forward to your comments. Take care & ...