Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GP flyfisherman

Aruba Flyfishing

I'm in Aruba for vacation and decided to wade in the shallows for bonefish saw them coming right to the shore line early in morning before tourists wake up.

post-60412-0-68803900-1503324490_thumb.jpg

Sounds like fun. I find early morning bones are tough because of the low sunlight. You can see them tailing but it's hard to see how they react to your fly and if they've eaten or not. Hope you hook a few and get to see some backing.

Yea it's tough. I haven't caught one yet but have seen dozens of big bones within easy casting distance even had them come within a few feet. I'll cast near them but they don't seem interested in my flies.

I find bones almost always react when they see your fly. They either rush the fly and eat or they turn tail and run, they seldom just swim by a fly they clearly see without at least moving over to inspect it. In less than a foot of water they can only see a very short distance, like a couple feet. I usually try and guess where they're going, make a cast well ahead of them, and drag and drop my fly when the fish gets closer. That's why those low light conditions are so hard, you see a tail pop up and make your cast, then the fish magically disappears and pops up where you least expect it and nowhere near your fly. Frustrating, but a whole lotta fun.