Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fish Pictures

• Please log in to reply
1559 replies to this topic

#1546 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:40 PM

Mike, what length and weights do you normally use?
Bimini15
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, when it is real quiet on the water, I can almost hear the fish laughing...

#1547 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,772 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:31 PM

The rod I use the most, is the 5' 6" 3/4 weight Steve built for me.  It's the one I have the "Panfish Attractor" tie to.

I have one "Dogwood Canyon" 7' 4 weight, which is my second most used rod.

I have another rod built by Steve, which is a 9' 8 weight, for throwing my largest flies on.

All the others are all 5 weights ... 8 to 9 foot rods.

Barbed hooks rule!

I am not lazy.  I just truly enjoy doing nothing.

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

quondam fidelis

#1548 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:49 PM

I am pretty envious here, just reading about and watching others fishing. We are in a -35-40 below deep freeze with wind chills.

So I am currently limited to flinging new flies into my private acquarium which is stocked with Powder River Bluefin Tuna, that I catch now on a Bamboo Azzhat Tenkara rod which I built myself.. This gets pretty close to outdoor flycasting for me. . just hooked myself twice.

Must travel to warmer location soon.... getting cabin fever already.... need to get outside Fish calling to me...

Attached Files

Comedian Steven Wright once said: "There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the SHORE like an idiot." Perhaps Steven failed to notice the float tubes, canoes, jonboats, catarafts, porta-botes, kayaks, '65 Alumacraft classics, G3 deep V's, and that was just ME.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I was forced to stop taking it seriously."  H.S. Thompson

#1549 mikechell

mikechell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,772 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:33 PM

Here you go, FRn.  Yesterday's catches.

Barbed hooks rule!

quondam fidelis

#1550 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:10 AM

Here you go, FRn.  Yesterday's catches.

Beautiful fish.... Cannot reach the thaw soon enough....

Comedian Steven Wright once said: "There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the SHORE like an idiot." Perhaps Steven failed to notice the float tubes, canoes, jonboats, catarafts, porta-botes, kayaks, '65 Alumacraft classics, G3 deep V's, and that was just ME.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I was forced to stop taking it seriously."  H.S. Thompson

#1551 Idaho RC

Idaho RC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:16 AM

I am pretty envious here, just reading about and watching others fishing. We are in a -35-40 below deep freeze with wind chills.attachicon.gifIMG_1604.JPG

So I am currently limited to flinging new flies into my private acquarium which is stocked with Powder River Bluefin Tuna, that I catch now on a Bamboo Azzhat Tenkara rod which I built myself.. This gets pretty close to outdoor flycasting for me. . just hooked myself twice.

Must travel to warmer location soon.... getting cabin fever already.... need to get outside Fish calling to me...

It's 2 degrees here.  Brrr

#1552 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:30 PM

I took off from work a little early today to get a couple hours on the water before a busy weekend ahead. Also to take advantage of the bite before the frigid 40 deg weather coming this weekend.

Ended up catching a nice variety with a couple surprises.

My first speckled perch and chain pickeral on fly. It still amazes me my first speck on fly was on a size 2 bass popper I tied last night.

Also watched a blue herron wrestle with a snake before flying off.

Beautiful afternoon it was.

Attached Files

#1553 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:40 PM

That has to be a freshwater Grand Slam!
Nicely done.
Bimini15
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, when it is real quiet on the water, I can almost hear the fish laughing...

#1554 mikechell

mikechell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,772 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

For those of you NOT from Florida ... Speckled Perch is Floridian for Crappie.

NICE variety of catches, Caloosa !!!  I used to catch a lot of Pickerel when I first got down here.  I caught enough that, with hard bodied Rapala type lure and braided line, I could tell by the feel of the hit, whether it was a bass or a Pickerel.  The Pickerel's teeth made a definite "click" to the hit.

I don't think I've caught one for more than a decade now.

Barbed hooks rule!

quondam fidelis

#1555 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

I have wanted to, but never caught a pickerel. They are around, supposedly, but I have never seen one.
Bimini15

#1556 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

Thanks guys.

Yep, they always have been a rare catch around here, but I remember seeing a lot more pickeral when I was a young kid on the lake, than what I've seen in recent years. This is might be my second one in 5+ years.

#1557 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:27 PM

I took off from work a little early today to get a couple hours on the water before a busy weekend ahead. Also to take advantage of the bite before the frigid 40 deg weather coming this weekend.
Ended up catching a nice variety with a couple surprises.
My first speckled perch and chain pickeral on fly. It still amazes me my first speck on fly was on a size 2 bass popper I tied last night.
Also watched a blue herron wrestle with a snake before flying off.
Beautiful afternoon it was.

Thanks for some cool pictures. Had to leave work because arm needed to be in cast, eh?

#1558 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:08 AM

I've never seen one before!  Nice work, Caloosa!

#1559 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:41 AM

By the way, did you get to see what kind of snake that was?
Bimini15

#1560 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

[quote name="mikechell" post="685978" timestamp="1483757165"]
For those of you NOT from Florida ... Speckled Perch is Floridian for Crappie.

[quote name="Flat Rock native" post="685989" timestamp="1483759635"]

Thanks for some cool pictures. Had to leave work because arm needed to be in cast, eh?[/quote]

Actually had to go to a memorial for my buddy's mom first, it concluded early enough to but the boat in and too late to bother going back to work. At her service, the slide show on a projector showed monster fish and stringers filled to capacity. Her husband, my buds dad, was a long time guide on chobee and is still a wealth of knowledge. The pastor,(who is a non-native), told a story about when he first met her. He had mentioned to her someone was taking him crappie fishing. She poked him in the chest said with a scowl we call them specks around here!

My bud has now caught the tying fever. I'm guilty for getting him infected. 😊

By the way, did you get to see what kind of snake that was?

just a brown water snake.