Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Proof 6' glass 2wt

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:14 AM

When you're a good boy all year*, Santa rewards you with presents.  I barely made the cut. He brought me a blank from Proof Fly Fishing.  Sometimes the "Some Assembly Required" sticker isn't such a bad thing.

c2zBCPX.jpg?1

The winding check I bought in '04.  Finally found a home.

SyTIbHl.jpg?1

jMSNE0A.jpg?1

Uz16KtH.jpg?1

Wasn't too impressed with it, initially.  Lightened up the leader and it turned into a fun little rod to fish.

#2 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:42 PM

Pretty looking if nothing else, congrats ! I like the blank color and your build quality.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,234 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:17 PM

Nice build Islander. Looks like the same blank I have built on before myself from other sources, nice little glass rod.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#4 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

It feels good to catch a fish on your own fly with your own rod, doesn't it?
Bimini15
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, when it is real quiet on the water, I can almost hear the fish laughing...

#5 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

It feels good to catch a fish on your own fly with your own rod, doesn't it?

Yeah.  I won't even consider buying a factory built rod anymore.  

#6 epzamora

epzamora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:06 PM

Yeah.  I won't even consider buying a factory built rod anymore.  

I'm with you on that. Except for a Cabelas CGR on deep discount last year, I'm all about wrapping my own, and now tying my own flies. That's a very nice build, love the color and hardware choices. Grip shape, DL reel seat, thread, etc. I need to jump at some of the offerings Matt has over at Proof. He's got some nice options for cork grips. I wonder how nice the quality is on those.

So you weren't impressed with the rod initially? what was wrong?

eric/fresno, ca.

#7 islander727

islander727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:59 AM

Like I said, once I lightened up on the leader butt it seemed to cast better.   Just stepped down from a 20# to a 15# butt.

I picked up one of his bamboo UL reel seats for a future project, and they are nice.  Same with the grips I've purchased from him.