Fly Tying

Hey, check out this review on the Sage Method!

post-58316-0-25254300-1468796673_thumb.jpg

I picked up one of these rods a short time ago. My flavor is a 6wt and 9’ rod. I was hearing great things from online sources and from friends. I even got to use a friends for a short trip before purchasing. Now that I have had it a few months, and taken it on multiple types of trips I have decided to write a short review of the rod.
Read more....
http://www.mcflyangler.com/sage-method-review

Nice review on this rod,I sold all my sage rods and left the fast rod generation for winston fly rods.

Yeah Winston makes a great rod. For trout fishing, like I said in the review, I prefer a slower action rod. I just don't think fast action rods are well suited for a small stream or River. I have a slow action graphite rod that I wrapped myself that is my favorite stream rod for trout. I think in all it cost me around $170 in materials... But the slower action really helps with presentation.

Sage also has a rod called the "mod" and it's a moderate action rod. I think it's also nice for the streams as it does have quite a slow action and is super smooth!

I like iM6 with moderate to moderate/fast action for streams . That's quite a lot slower than say an iM7 with medium fast action. iM6 gives more feel than glass but in the right wrap it still has a bit of that glass presence about it. A composite rod can be good too but I don't think anyone makes them anymore ( carbon infused glass). And iM 6 can still pass on larger rivers too, where you need some extra distance. I don't know what Sage used for graphite in their Graphite II rods or even Graphite III but that was plenty fast for me. The last really good rods that interested me from Sage and then too costly at that ! I'd love to find some blanks though.

My main smaller stream rod is GF-1000 graphite from Cortland, moderate action 7' rod with nice hard snake guides and slip ring reel mount. Perfect, if you want a little distance use a 3 wt line, if you want to fish in close use a 4wt line on it.. It was given to me as a gift some 25 years ago and cherished still today.

Nice review. I don't own any Sages since my budget only allows for rod building on import blanks (gotta have a full quiver of rods for different tasks :) but it's nice to see a review from someone admitting their shortcomings, which is very applicable to most average fisher-people if we're honest.

it would have been nice to have Sage answer some of your questions regarding the rod's characteristics interspersed in the review, through a sage representative. something more clarifying than what a Sage ad might say. just an idea for any future reviews.

eric

fresno, ca.

Nice review. I don't own any Sages since my budget only allows for rod building on import blanks (gotta have a full quiver of rods for different tasks :) but it's nice to see a review from someone admitting their shortcomings, which is very applicable to most average fisher-people if we're honest.

it would have been nice to have Sage answer some of your questions regarding the rod's characteristics interspersed in the review, through a sage representative. something more clarifying than what a Sage ad might say. just an idea for any future reviews.

eric

fresno, ca.

I don't know anyone at sage, and I'm no one important, so I doubt they will answer me. Lol.

I do know that the rod is an excellent rod. And what I portrayed as shortcomings are actually benefits for a skilled and well practiced fisherman. But for us that don't have time to practice every day, the rod might just be too stiff for most applications. I'd did however work wonders for me for inshore fishing. Really it was the best rod I've ever used for that situation.