Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Tarpon on fly

Just posted my first fishing report in almost two months (I've been very, very busy -going day after day...) and realized that it didn't contain a single fly fishing pic...

So I went back into my archive during that time when I was just too busy to do any reports and found a few pics from our first big fish on fly this season... This was at the end of last month up a small river in high winds and constant rain... Enjoy.

And for anyone needing a current report - go to Microskiff.com but don't count on any flyfishing stuff for this week's report...

post-30940-0-80000500-1398704093_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-91998900-1398704094_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-01107900-1398704096_thumb.jpg

Very nice pics Captain!

Question: When you are targeting those tarpon back in the Glades, are you casting at rollers, or do you try to look for laid-up fish?

We're doing a mix of laid-ups, rolling fish, and actual spots where I know they like to hold.... That particular fish showed itself chasing food along the shoreline you can see in the first pic. When we didn't see the fish move again I had a pretty good idea of exactly where it would be holding (tarpon up inside rivers aren't usually going anywhere - they seem far more interested in comfort and not being bothered). From what I've read about salmon in rivers they seem to hold in the same places just out of the main current year after year - river tarpon behave very similarly. This fish was right at 80lbs and ate a big black fly laid up under an overhanging branch in about five or six feet of water. A few weeks later we were only fishing laid up fish in less than three feet of water (big fish, very spooky) that seemed to know we were after them before the first cast....

Capt Bob, I like your observation about tarpon holding like salmon. In our tidal rivers where I have been chasing them, I thought they were a lot like steelhead in that there seemed to be a "spot" within a spot where you had to cast to get a hookup. Just being in the vicinity wasn't good enough, you had to drift the fly through the right slot. Also, I think most are caught during low light conditions just like steelhead. Anyway, I never get tired of tarpon tales (or tails), they are a great challenge. Nice report on Microskiff too!