Fly Tying
Alex C.

My first realistic fly

Well I've put a lot of thought into this and decided to start it today,when I'm finished it'll look like thisRed eyed tree frog

I got the frame started today, the long piece of wire is gonna be the supporting structure for it's tongue flying out, I'll probably tie some sort of s. american insect getting stuckuser posted image

So what do you fellas think?

I am planning on mainly using foam and mono for the body and as soon as pujic posts his step by step on mono over white thread I want to try and use that tecnique for the legs and toes

I'll try and take as many pics as I can as I go along, that way if someone wanted to tie one they'll have a step by step, I doubt the first one will come out as planned but the 3rd or 4th one might biggrin.gif

Hi Skunked, very exciting indeed. That's quite a sizable vise you have! I look forward to seeing your frog progress.

Graham

Congrats Skunked, you're well on your way now. I'll get cracking on that walkthrough asap. I could probably have it done in a few days but I will be on the road for most of this week so I don't think I'll be able to get it done before Monday or Tuesday. I'll try though. Keep working on that and let us know if we can help.

Well I realized that the wire I have would cause more problems than it would solve, especially wrapping the body, in the end. So I whittled a piece of foam and am back to square one, except now I am ready for the rear legs and wrapping the body up to just behind the front legs. I'll stop now till I learn to wrap the mono over thread tecnique. Man I know it doesn't look like much right now but I am really beaming biggrin.gif about it cause I can see how it is gonna turn out if I don't screw up. I am still not 100% on the head/ open mouth as far as how I'm gonna pull it off, I know I could whitle more foam, but then I'm lure making and not fly tying. The one part I have no idea how to pull off is the eyes and especially the eyelids. Any ideas?user posted image

Skunked, it's really starting to take shape. Good work. Sorry for the delay on the thread over mono walkthrough. I wish I had it done already bud.

Skunked, it's really starting to take shape. Good work. Sorry for the delay on the thread over mono walkthrough. I wish I had it done already bud.

don't worry about it, I have some clousers I need to get tied, but this has kind of sidetracked me the past couple days. I figured out today I'm going to have to use foam or some type of stretchable plaxtic for the head. And when you guys are gonna love what the tongue is gonna be made from, need a hint? Well its pink and tastes like about anything these days, costs about .75 a pack, and is very sticky and flexible. And you can blow bubbles with it..........................................................................Yup, bubblegum, I'll form it to shape and after it hardens put a couple coats of sally hansens over it biggrin.gif I hope no one considers it a scented fly rolleyes.gif

I hope no one considers it a scented fly

Only if the gum is meal/earth worm flavor. sick.gif

I'm very curious on how this one is going to turn out.

ah ha...skunked catching on. The improvising trick is one that took me a while to figure out.

Just think...If you got tired of it..You got just chew it up. wacko.gif

looking good man! biggrin.gif

Well I am gonna use 2mm foam for the top and bottom jaws, I just glued the bottom jaw in and it's clamped on right now till the head cement dries. Next I'll do the tongue, and then I'll make the upper jaw/cranium, mount the eyes on it( still haven't got a good idea how to do that wallbash.gif ), and then I'll glue that in. After that I am gonna tie the jaws in permanently, make the front legs, wrap a layer of thread down the body to it's rear end, do the rear legs, then it's painting time, actually more like sharpie time, and then I will coat it with sally hansens and it'll be all set. I hope everything goes smoothly sad.gif . I'll post a pic after I do the bottom jaw and the tongue