Fly Tying
streamcaddis

Foam Strips

:wallbash: :wallbash: Dose any one have a good way to cut foam strips?. I just can't seam to cut a straight line when cutting foam. I have the Larva lace cutter but it is not wide enough for my needs. :wallbash: :wallbash:

I usually lay down a ruler on the foam, apply alot of pressure so it won't move, and cut my strip. Usually comes out really straight.

Kerusso

his might be somewhat out of the way for a few, but in the spring and summer I do construction work. There's a square used in roofing for cutting hips, and valleys and such. It makes a perfect brace. It has a double edge, that if layed on the edge of a table, you can apply pressure hold it tight and make your cuts. Hope this helps. Oh they only cost about 3bucks at home depot.

ruler and exacto knife, or if u cut slowly with scissors and puch the foam all the way back to were the two blades meet u should get it strieght.

I use my wife's rotary cutter for her crafty stuff, put that down on the cutting board and use a ruler for a straight edge. works great!

Same as Oatka, but watch out! Those blades on the rotary cutters are SHARP! I use an aluminum straight edge as a guide. Be sure to press down hard to get an even cut.

I keep a small parts drawer filled with strips for beetles and such. When I get the foam and cutter out, I make a big bunch of strips at a time.

I use a metal ruler with a cork strip backing and an xacto knife abd have had problems with the ruler slipping.

Charlie

I made a cutter by putting razor blades on a bolt separating them with washers and tightening it with a nut and using a ruler.

Josh

I roll it up and use a very long blade and cut it, like slicing bread. Make sure to roll it up real tight. This also works well for cutting plastics and latex.

I roll it up and use a very long blade and cut it, like slicing bread. Make sure to roll it up real tight. This also works well for cutting plastics and latex.

Why didn't I think of that? :dunno:

I use a rotary cutter and a straight edge, too. ;)

i use a paper shredder, make sure you don't us a cross cut shredder.

it makes straight cuts and will do a whole sheet at one time

best

gary

Anyone who has access to a dollarama or perhaps other dollar stores can find bags of pre-cut strips in mixed colours, 1/4" wide. You get alot for a buck. :)