Fly Tying
ILikeFish

Stonefly Nymph

So while I was in Sinnemahoning this year for my annual fishing trip in may, I flipped some rocks. This was my first time flipping rocks to look for insects, so I was pretty pumped when I found this guy...

IPB Image

I have heard they were in areas of PA, but never saw one. This one was pretty big (I think, bases on the only one ive ever seen...)

Hi Josh-

You sure took a nice photo. It's a Boreal Stone, Acroneuria lycorias.

We fished the Broadhead in the Pocono area and found a lot of those stone fly nymphs. That was the first time I ever saw them in PA as well. They are big bugs and very colorful.

Conehead

I'm not sure of the species but there is a very similar stone to be found in Neshannock Creek. Bob has a specimen in the shop and when the adults are flying around it's like small birds, especially when the Dobsonflies join in!

I live at the base of the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia. I fish here and in Western Maryland. The North Branch of the Potomac River and the Savage River. They are all over the place around here along with 3 other types of stone flies.

eastern fly

good photo! these were extremely common in the streams and rivers of northwestern Pa where I grew up. As kids, we'd flip a rock, pick up a stonefly nymph, put it on a hook, catch a fish, and repeat. We caught everything from shiners to sunfish, to bass to trout with them. Then we figured out how to build and use a kick-net, and were able to get a day's supply of all kinds of nymphs in about 5 minutes.

Nice shot. I had a few of those for breakfast this morning. :yahoo: