Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
t5f

Cali Confusion

Is a Callibaetis and a Baetis the same thing? Is a Callibaetis a BWO?

Is the earth round?

Help!!! :help:

I would say that a baetis and a calibaetis are the same. BWO and Baetis are not the same. Around here people speak of Baetis when talking about still waters, but we get BWO on most of our rivers. The patterns for baetis are lighter and typically specled with dark spots. BWO's are small, no tiny and dark olive grey most places around here.

Hope this helps... actually hope I am right.

C

Scientifically, Callibaetis and Baetis are not the same. In fact they are two different genera in the family Baetidae. Callibaetis are found in lentic (lake/stillwater) habitats and are often associated with aquatic vegetation. Baetis are found in lentic (stream) habitats.

Physically, Callibaetis nymphs have longer abdomens with gills that are larger and more noticeable than Baetis, which is a more compact and usually smaller nymph with less prominent gills.

Callibaetis subimagos are commonly known as Speckled Duns and look more like an Adams dry fly than a BWO. Blue-Wing Olive is a common term to describe a wide number of mayfly subimagos (duns) with an olive body and gray wings. It's not used for classification in scientific literature. Most genera in the family Baetidae are considered Blue-Wing Olives, but species of the genus Drunella from the family Ephemerellidae can also be considered BWOs.

Aristotle theorized that the Earth was round, and it was later proven when Magellan sailed around the world. :P

-Aquatic Insects of North America R.W. Merritt, K.W. Cummins

-www.troutnut.com

Hope you're making a killing on the Bitterroot!

-Cody

Thanks Cody for clearing that up... That earth being round or flat thing has had me all messed up for a long time:)

C

Thanks guys for the help,

So in short to make sure I understand this.... Calli = Lake

Baetis = stream/river

right?

Yeah, that is mostly the rule although I have seen callibaetis in a slow moving and highly vegetated spring creek.

Callibaetis are typically larger than BWO's or Baetis. And what Cody said! Also the Callibaetis wings are much more speckled the the other 2.

Cheers, Futzer.