Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
STR fisherman

6 foot fly rod for tight stream fishing

what rod weight is best for small stream fishing? Will be chasing 10" - 15" brookies and rainbows

My personal choice for that size fish is a 3 or 4 wt. But someone else will probably tell you something different. Also it matters what flies you will be casting, all my stream flies are small and not very heavy, I throw a lot of size 10 or 12 muddlers and size 14 soft hackles , maybe some size 8 streamers.. Size 16 caddis and BWO.

By the way, you asked this in the introduction page, so Hello.

+1, the only exception being if there's wind, in which case you'll want to make sure you can punch through it and everything else comes second.

Welcome to the site, STR.

I don't have trout streams in my section of the Country. But, here's my opinion on the matter.

I do own a 5'6" 3 weight that is perfect for casting a fly under overhanging branches, etc. If the streams you're fishing are overgrown, then length, not weight, will be the issue.

For the size of fish you're after, anything from a 5 weight down will give you a good experience with a hooked fish.

For the water you're fishing, rod length might be more of an issue.

I use 7wt line more than any other in all kinds of conditions. The tapered lines are in essence a 3 weight for the first few feet and the heavier mid section gets the work done on longer casts or windy conditions.

But on small streams the line will hardly be in play, leader of 6'+ and rod of 6' is stream width. so 3-5' of line? I also much prefer fiberglass in the short rods, because for me they roll cast better.

So as Dave G, said you have different answers, the key is, imo, the flies you use govern the line weight, not the size of the fish. If you are comfortable casting a 0wt that's an option, my cast fails to please me with anything less than a 5.

and welcome

What's a small stream to you? A small brook trout stream to me means something you can step over. 10" to 15" brook trout tells me your actually fishing a medium or average size creek that's maybe 20 or 30 feet wide. In this case, a 6' 3wt would be a horrible choice. A 3wt in general would be a horrible choice.

To me 2wt and smaller are niche rods. 3wts are very very close to a niche rod. Personally, I don't waste my money on niche's and prefer multi use rods and equipment. I'd go a 4 or a 5 and would factor in other fishing opportunities before making a decision. I have both a 4 and a 5wt for small trout fishing.

I brought a #3 and used it a few times on the river. Great with a furled leader. Hardly ever pick up my #5 now.

Not ideal if you nymph a lot in my opinion.

I've been really enjoying the pair of 4 wt rods I built late winter to early spring this year. So far only still water fishing. I think the Anglers Roost 10ft 4wt controls the line nicer than about any rod I have. The 9 ft Matrix is good at presentation. Not that this has anything to do with the OP, just saying I'm really liking these 4 wts is all.

In his situation I would use my 7ft 3/4, which for distance does well with a 3 line and presentation a 4 line is a little better. I keep a Cortland 444 Peach on there in WF 4 wt. most of the time.. But that has been my stream rod for I guess 20 years. I would certainly take it into the conditions the OP spoke of. I've caught 17" land locked salmon on that rod and 6" brookies. The largest fish it ever brought to me was a 3 lb large mouth bass and it did fine. Open lake fishing and wind is not it's thing is all. So ya, I have no apprehension recommending a 7ft 3/4 rod. 6ft isn't my thing and I know that is what he asked about ..