Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.NiceGaius

Cape Tops

I'm looking for suggestions for online vendors that sell cock cape tops. I don't tie a crazy amount and the vast majority of what I do are size 14 or smaller so buying cape tops for dry hackle is perfect.

I've gone through one online vendor a few times in the past with good results, but it seems it's a crapshoot with others posting a lot of negative reviews. I'll risk it again if I have to as it's a small amount of money, but figured I'd see if you guys had any good suggestions for reliable vendors. TIA

Yeah I didn't want to name names cuz I've had good experiences with them, but that might have been the one. Like I said, I'll chance it again if that's my only option but it'd be nice to be able to look around.

Go Pats!

That's a good point cheech, probably the best option.

I see those cape tops on eBay a decent amount. Not sure the quality. I have been picking up some nice non genetic rooster capes on eBay for next to nothing. Not the best alone but make some nice 2nd hackles on a fly to add some color.

Not a huge fan of the Whiting 100 packs because of the single size limitation. The quarter saddles always struck me as a better deal, especially in the Pro- or Bronze grades. Ewing sells cape tops and I've seen them at Sportsmen's Warehouse if you happen to have one around, but I've never been impressed with the quality. Have yet to have a problem with Feather Emporium but it is a one-man shop, and one has to keep that in mind when doing business with Dave. I really like his products, regardless of the stories.

I have just recently cautiously placed two small orders with FE and I have to say

that I recieved what I had expected and the delivery was in an acceptable time

frame. Not super fast but it was free shipping and the items were recieved within

a reasonable time. I know there is a lot of history here on the subject but I wanted to

be fair and post what my recent limited experiences were. I would use them again if

they had an item I wanted.