Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

how far away from home.....

.....did you get on your fishing trip before you realized you forgot a major item of your fishing gear? waders? boots? reels? rods? flies? etc

i've gotten to the farmington river (about 70 miles) but forgot the flies i specifically tied for that river

9pxo.gif

375 miles, a pill bottle of black caddis left at home and black caddis were "the thing" when we got there. The foolish things were flying in our car windows when we arrived. But I always bring my tying kit, first thing I pack in the car, so whipped some up.

At home I have forgotten waders or a rod a few times but the ponds average 10 miles from home here. This generally happens because my stuff for local fishing is usually in the car 24/7 and I might have taken something out to transport something home or switched cars. i'm just used to the stuff being in the car.

Last year ... 1200 miles to Milwaukee. Found out I'd packed everything ... except the rod.

While some of the superstars can cast line with nothing but their hand, I'm not one of them. Well, I've never tried, and wasn't about to go on the water like that, even if I can.

Fortunately, that's also the trip where a great fly shop loaned me a Sage fly rod for free.

out to the gulf stream when I realized I forgot the tackle box. Deep sea fishing with only the hooks that were left on the rods from the last trip. Of course we got into sharks so it became a day for pleasure boating

I don't even know what yelp is. But I did give them a good write up on this and another fly fishing/tying site.

I also gave my opinion on the Sage I used ... which I wouldn't own if it was given to me for free.

I won't forget my inexpensive rod again !!!

I was headed down the shore to fish with my salt water club. I pulled in to the rest area on the AC X-pressway, 40 miles from my house, and realized I'd left my rods at home. So I turned around and went back and got them. Fortunately I'd left early. The traffic was light and I could average about 70 mph. So I arrived at the meeting place on time, instead of early like I usually do.

I just returned from a 2381 mile trip to Ashton, ID from Orlando. I didn't forget anything since I leave plenty of gear at my fishing bud's house in Salt Lake City. My buddy as recently retired and was busy getting his Medicare and Supplemental insurance setup, so he wasn't paying attention as he threw all his gear in the truck. Two hundred and seventy five miles later, he " discovered" that his bag with all his flies and leaders was still in Salt Lake.

Lucky for him, I had tied over 500 files just for this trip, and had 3000 more stashed in MY bag of fly boxes. I also had tied up 24 hand tied leaders before the tip. Plenty of flies to go around. I planned on leaving him most of the flies after the tip anyway, so he got an early gift.

Bad part of the trip, was the SMOKE. Couldn't see the mountains at all in Ashton, or most the rest of Idaho. We both broke rods on that trip as well. I picked up a new rod before returning to Orlando, can't wait to fish it this fall.

I must be lame. 90% of the fishing I do is within 10 miles of home. The other 10% is within about 70 miles. One time I went ice fishing about 20 miles away and forgot my sunglasses. No big deal since I bought a cheapy pair with my wax worms at the tackle shop. I carry so little that it's damn near impossible to forget something.

I've driven two hours without the reel I needed. Twice (!!) in the past two years I've hit the river without a fly rod. Both of those times were with my kayak, and both times experimenting with "solo shuttling", so, in my defense, I was pretty preoccupied, but even so...duh.

I don't know how many times I've tied flies to fish with the next day, then left them on the tying bench, or somewhere on the path from the tying bench to the car. Usually the cat finds them, and that's that. Fortunately, she's very adept at shredding them without getting the hooks in her mouth, and even more fortunately, they're all barbless hooks. smile.png

I've gotten better in recent years, since I built a storage drawer that fits in the back of my SUV, and a lot of the gear stays in there all season long.

When I was in my early 20's, went for a weeklong camp/fish trip w/my grandfather and a few of his buddies. He made the trip every year and always told everyone to bring 2 fishing poles in case something happens. So an 8 hour drive from his house, 30 minute flight on a float plane to the middle of nowhere, we're fishing the river about an hour in and he loses his fishing pole. The only one he brought. He used my spare the rest of the week.