Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ash13brook

New from Chicagoland

About every five years since I was fourteen, I've taken up fly fishing for a couple of months. I'm sixty-two, now.

During half those periods, I also took up tying.

This year, my fishing partner of fifteen years(my son) moved to Florida, leaving me to fish alone. We have been bass fishing with conventional gear. So, I re-took up fly fishing the first of the year and, of course, tying.

I had most of the tools I needed, but bought materials only for the flies I was going to tie. I started with Clousers, then Wooly Buggers. I'm now going into some crawdads and panfish flies.

I bought an Orvis book about carp flies because I figured a lot of the carp flies would be nice panfish flies, also. When I got the book, it was full of recipes, but I realized it didn't tell the actual tying procedure.

So, here I am. Needing help.

Thanks for having me,

Matt Ashbrook

Usually the order that the materials are listed is the order of applying them to the hook - usually. Thus, there can be deviations.

A book of recipes is nice but as far as learning or re-learning techniques, a book on various techniques of handling thread, applying various materials, etc... - would help one get back into this addiction. Then there's YouTube (or any other site related to tying instruction) these days.... can be a help to see 'it' done too.

Good luck and just have fun with it.

BCT

Welcome to the forum, Matt.

BCT is right.Just about every fly can be found in a video somewhere online these day's as well as basic tying technique video's.Sure make's tying new flies easier for me.

If you run into trouble tying and need help,this is the perfect place to ask.

Steve

Guest rich mc

in chicagoland try to come to the ISA/DRIFT fly show sunday nov 13 in oakbrook venors, seminars , and 25 tyers tying all day long rich mc

Welcome to the site, Matt.

If you in west Chicago ...

I was going to say, "Look up richmc" ... but there he is !!!