Fly Tying
fdfretes

ATTN: All Nor-Vise Users

ATTENTION: I have read and know that the Nor-Vise is basically a love it or hate it deal. Pardon for being blunt, but I honestly do not care if you don't like it and want to take this opportunity to tell people why. I am committed to learning how to use this vise properly and there is no turning back. If you do not have any positive comments or additions to this thread I would courteously ask that you keep your comments to yourself.

Having that said,

My Nor-Vise should be delivered on Friday and I was wondering if you guys had any tips/tricks/modifications you have done to yours/anything really to fuel and inspire me until it gets here.

Pictures of your Nor-Vise setup perhaps ?

I did not buy the Automatic Bobbin from Nor-Vise and having seen all the videos on youtube I understand its critical role in the Nor-Vise System, however, I am holding off until I can scrounge up enough cash to buy an Ekich bobbin instead. The misses wasn't too happy about the vise as-is I didn't even mention the bobbin!

I love having gadgets in any hobby I part-take and this is no exception. The thought of doing some modifications also crossed my mind, so here goes another question for you nor-vise users:

How easy is it to disassemble ? The thought crossed my mind to replace the bearings in the vise with some ceramic boca bearings or something similar to get a faster spin or at least have the option to. I am not really doing this because I think there is anything lacking in the performance department but rather just for the heck of it.

Glad to hear you bought a Nor-Vise. I've had mine about 5 years now and just love it. I didn't do any mods. to mine because I like it just as it is. I've kicked the idea around about buying the smaller jaws, but really don't need them as I don't tie anything smaller smaller than a size 20 and can get by with the standard jaws.

Let us know if you do any of the mods. you're talking about and how they work for you.

There is a learning curve with the vise, but once you get it figured out you'll never give it up.

Will do. Ill make a mental note to take video of the spin before and after to compare as well as maybe take some pictures of the process that way in case anyone else may want to do it they can have a visual guide to replacing those bearings.

My Nor-Vise should be delivered on Friday and I was wondering if you guys had any tips/tricks/modifications you have done to yours/anything really to fuel and inspire me until it gets here.

Best modification I can think of is to return the Nor-Vise and get a Renzetti instead (you really asked for that).

On the Ekich bobbins, get Norm's Automatic Bobbin instead. While the Ekich is an interesting toy, it is too expensive and I hate how slow it is to load. Norm's is not much better, but I think the longer bobbin will help in the long run.

I have not done any modificatiins to mine. I did buy the fine point jaws and use them primarily now as they give me more room to work behind the hook. His bobbin makes using the vise a lot easier. Loading the spools only takes a second or two , dont let that deter you. You can get two of norms bobbins for the price of one ekich. The only thing i did was mount mine to a scrap piece of granite countertop to make it even more solid. I have never thought of changing out the bearings as mine spins fast enough as it is. Only maintence is an occasional oil to keep them spinning smoothly. Get norms video or watch them on youtube, that will help you get past the learning curve more quickly. There are a lot of happy users on here and feel free to ask questions. Plus norm is always an email away as well,

On the Ekich bobbins, get Norm's Automatic Bobbin instead. While the Ekich is an interesting toy, it is too expensive and I hate how slow it is to load. Norm's is not much better, but I think the longer bobbin will help in the long run.

Slow to load? Please explain how the Ekich is slow to load. As far as I can tell, One puts on a thread spool and feeds the thread thru the tube like any other bobbin. Am I missing something?

One of my favorite things about the NorVise is that it just flat out works as advertised. I wouldn't modify mine because I just see no reason to do so. I can't imagine what application you would have in mind where you want a faster spin. It spins pretty darn fast!

I agree that the NorVise automatic bobbin is a better value, and I prefer it to the Ekich. I tried the Ekich a while back and don't recall exactly what the issue was, but I remember it was a bit fussy to get working the way I like. There was something about the adjustable tension. But that's going to vary from person to person. I bought 2 automatic bobbins and a slew of thread spool and never looked back.

One thing I would like to build is a better platform for mounting the vise in a more portable fashion. I have it screwed to a big stable slab on my tying bench, but sometimes I like to tie in front of the TV or on the back porch. Might do some work on a new tying platform this winter.

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the screws to attach the vise to a baseplate or table ? Also, the height of the screw head (I need to know how much to cut out/countersink the bottom of the base)

I didnt buy their bamboo boards and am going to modify a cutting board to serve this purpose and want to have it ready for when my vise gets here :D

I have not used the Ekich bobbin so I can not comment on how it works or there warranty but , I think it is 1 year. I do now that Norm stands behind his product. I had a problem with the first automatic bobbin after 3 years. It was not retracting. I contacted Norm and he sent out a replacement. You can get the Nor-Bobbin and a pack of spools for the cost of the Ekick. About the only real mod I have thought about doing is some sort of regular bobbin holder to use regulars bobbins. I have mine mounted on a piece of Corian solid surface material. One tip I recommend is practice cutting the thread off and put it on the thread post. Just take a spare hook and wrap thread on, lay down a base, then tie off and cut thread. This will help you keep the thread from being retracted if not done correctly when using the Nor-Bobbin.

I have had my Nor-vise for well over 20 years. Its my primary vise. My first edition, came with the aluminum arbors. These were not quite as heavy as the brass arbors, but it still spun fast enough as it was. About 4 years ago, I sent in my vise to Norm for a few "modifications." The first models, didn't have the tension screw, and that was where the gallows pole is attached,

I asked to have MY vise modified, I had purchased it right from Norm's hands at a sports show, and I wanted that vise back. Norm not only sent me MY vise, he upgraded the vise with a reconditioned set of brass arbors. At the same time, I also got the fine point jaw conversion. I use the standard jaws for the most part, and switch to the fine point when I tie smaller than a size 20.

I have mine mounted on a walnut base that I made myself. A sink cutout of Corian, Granite,or some other kitchen counter material would make a great base. Just keep the base color light. Dark or patterned bases make it too easy to loose things in the pattern.

I have put well over 50,000 flies through my Nor-vise over the years, and its as good as ever. The bearings are the original set, and I may have oiled them ONCE, I don't remember.

Watch the videos on the Nor-vise site, or YouTube. They will help you get started with some of the features. You will need an auto bobbin, and I have two from Nor-vise. It's not that hard to wind the spools. I buy bulk thread anyway, so I would have to load a conventional spool. I keep all my spare spools for the bobbins loaded with extra thread so if I run out I usually have a spool loaded already with the same (or close enough,) thread. Most of the time, I use the vise to load my spools.

The thread exposure on the screws should be about 5/8ths to 3/4". And the spacing is about 14" between the two screw holes.

Slow to load? Please explain how the Ekich is slow to load. As far as I can tell, One puts on a thread spool and feeds the thread thru the tube like any other bobbin. Am I missing something?

Clearance between bobbin of thread and barrel is such that there is very little room to maneuver. The wire frame also often gets in the way. Not worth my time if I need a bobbin threader just to use the dang thing. I keep it around as a reminder that innovation is not necessarily the same as improvement.

Ive used other bobbin holders where this is the same issue, I just thread it holding the spool and then set the spool in the bobbin holder...is that the only issue with slow loading ? if it is, its a non-issue for me atleast...

whatfly,

Thank you for your explanation, it makes sense.

I have several dental floss threaders lying around (for $2.99 I bought a package of fifty), so this is not an issue for me.

If you want to unload your Ekich, like fdfretes, I would be interested.