Fly Tying
yooperflyfisher

Brookie Flies

Whatever they feed on in the area. If theres an obvious hatch, I use that. If not, I use nymphs associated with the insects that should be hatching at that time. Otherwise, classic style streamer flies such as Light Spruce, Black Nosed Dace, Mickey Finn.

I pound brookies in beaver ponds in Colorado on 14 & 16 red humpies. I've had 60 fish days on them. POUND THEM!! Also on a fly I tie. I call it "Blood filled mosquito" Looks like this. Tie like a regular mosquito only add a piece of red floss to the belly of the fly. They killed it.

post-19822-0-17739000-1550152318_thumb.jpg

Royal Wulff, hands down. They always fell for it in CO.

I'll second that and add any of the "Royal" patterns (Wulff/Coachman) work on brookies, wets and dries.

When I fish for them in Vermont, my go to fly is the CDC and Elk(deer hair). Most of the small streams and ponds have excellent caddis hatches. Another fly I use in riffles is an off-beat pattern, the Nalle Puh. I'm mainly a dry fly person. I've had some luck with small woolly buggers and green weenies. Seems to be a lot of green rock worms in the streams. Will probably try a chartreuse mini-mop fly when I head up there this year.

Any good trout fly will catch all the brookies in the stream or pond, I favor the soft hackle/spider types and traditional nymphs like gold rib hares ear.

Ive heard that around 80% of a trouts diet is eaten below the surface. Not sure how true that is because I never saw any interviews. But I can say I have caught more, and bigger trout especially brook trout it seems on a dropper or fishing a nymph, emerger, or small streamer by itself.

Here in the Smoky Mountains, brookies will hit just about anything, but one hot fly for them is the pink weenie.

Joe

Ausable Bomber

IMG_3654.jpg

Delaware Adams Wulff (Bomber style)

42774596821_d6cf575935_c.jpg

Kolzers Firefly

0ed96f7f-5152-4b22-b585-83a3865f0e7a_zps

These work in the east and west, not that Ive found the brookies to be very picky.

Regards,

Scott

Interesting that several of these posts include the color red. I know red is a big deal fishing for Bream, too. To me, Brookes are a lot like Bream, at times. One day I want to go Labrador to fish for the big uns.