Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

On what feathers do I find "gray (dun) hackle?

** UPDATED ** Hello everybody... I'm going to attempt to tie a "Better-Winged Olive Mayfly" from a recipe I found by Steve Schweitzer. In it, he calls for "gray (dun) hackle" for the wings and legs. Since this is a dry fly, where do I look for this hackle (i.e. what feathers should I be looking for)?

Thanks in advance... SpokaneDude

Pick a neck cape if you plan on tying flies of different sizes, they'll vary from tiny to very large and generally one feather is good for one or maybe two flies. A saddle will have many of its feathers about the same size, usually most about size 12 to 18, but each feather is long and uniform and can be used to tie multiple flies. I love saddles for most of my trout tying because most flies I tie are in that mid sized range. I do have several necks and find the grizzy neck very useful because I use it for everything from tiny midges to big streamers.

If you don't want to invest in a whole neck or saddle you can find packs of just a few feathers in whatever size you plan on tying.

You said this is for the wings and tail. For the wings a dun hen cape would give you a broader profile but a rooster cape will work. For the tail you will want the stiffer fibers from a rooster cape. Saddle are great for hackle but the fibers are generally too short for tails.

For a dry I don't think hen hackle would be better, rooster neck (cape) or saddle would be reccomended. Flytires pics are nice feathers for your fly.

I mis-read the recipe -- it's for "wings and legs"! Sorry...

Ignore the wings/legs description. Steve is wrapping a normal dry hackle, then cutting the bottom. The wings/legs is his description of what the wrapped hackle imitates. You just need grey (dun) dry fly hackle. Exactly like what Flytire shows.

Here's the step-by-step.

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns-tie-better/better-winged-olives

Ahhhh... that makes sense, Bruce... I'm good to go now... thanks to all of you responders... I really, really appreciate it... :-}

SD

I've been using almost exactly the same pattern, and clipped like that, for several years now. I normally use a parachute during most blue wing olive hatches, but when I find a particularly difficult fish this pattern will often do the trick. It's one real drawback is that in a size 18 or 20 it's almost impossible to see at any distance, especially on the dark and gray days when little olives hatch best. I usually fish it till I hook or give up on the particular difficult fish, then switch to a dry I can see more easily.

To answer the first question you are looking for an Andalusian Blue cockerel. Unfortunately the gene is regressive, so they can not be predictably bread. However, there are many dyed examples available. The ones Flytier showed will do fine, they are the same as I use, (but mine look a lot more used!),

Spiralspey, Try using white, off white, or pale grey poly yarn post in place of hackle point wings. The reason why your trimmed hackle imitation works when trout are picky is that it rest exactly 1 body width higher on the surface. I've changed back and forth between parachute and trimmed hackle mid hatch, to prove the trimmed hackle is the better imitation. I've never had an occasion when the parachute has out fished the trimmed hackle. This had lead me to kick all the parachute dun imitations out of my fly box. (I still use them for emergers, just not adult dun imitations).

Cheers,

C.

Yes, Crackaig, I agree that a trimmed standard hackled dry is more effective than the parachute, I've proven it to myself as well. I stick with the parachute with a white wing most of the time because it floats good in broken water, is very visible, and I seldom find fish that won't eat them if my presentation is good. I break out the trimmed hackle fly just for difficult fish. I guess I could put on a white wing, most of mine include a wing of dun colored turkey flat fibers, but when I'm using this pattern I'm trying to use a fly as close to the real thing in color and profile as possible. I'm glad to know someone else has found similar results in fly design, maybe I should revisit the whole parachute vs. trimmed hackle fly thing.

The thing about the SxS in the Global Fly Fisher is that the guy keeps talking about wings. I guess he's calling wrapped hackle wings but I don't see those flies as having wings. To me wings, regardless of material used, are separate from the hackle collar. Otherwise trimming the bottom of the hackle can help cover you for using too large a hackle plus give better flotation by having more hackle in contact with water surface.

... I've changed back and forth between parachute and trimmed hackle mid hatch, to prove the trimmed hackle is the better imitation. I've never had an occasion when the parachute has out fished the trimmed hackle. This had lead me to kick all the parachute dun imitations out of my fly box. (I still use them for emergers, just not adult dun imitations).

Noooooooooo! Tell me this isn't true! Please, please

My flyboxes are full of parachutes, My favorite ties. I can tie them from #8 to #28. I use them for emergers, adults, attractors. Mayflies, midges, caddis (sometimes), terrestrials (some patterns.) .

I love parachutes because they are easy to tie. They always land upright, so no picky proportion issues. I can see them very easily. It's my one slightly advanced competency.

I sometimes use Comparaduns and a few clipped bottom patterns like Barr's VisiDun. Actually, I tend to use these as more visible spinner patterns.