Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tctrout

Guide's Choice Hare's Ear Variant

Like many other tyers, I enjoy modifying effective patterns to meet my needs on local waters. The Guide's Choice Hare's Ear is one I love to modify, being that it is already such an incredible pattern. If you change it too, I'd love to hear some of your ideas...

TC

You know tc the only fly I've tied with a jig hook is a slump buster. But I like this fly very much and plan on tying some. I like the variant concept and all its possibilities like even an all black stonefly? By the way why is olive dun your favorite color thread right now?

You know tc the only fly I've tied with a jig hook is a slump buster. But I like this fly very much and plan on tying some. I like the variant concept and all its possibilities like even an all black stonefly? By the way why is olive dun your favorite color thread right now?

This is definitely a great pattern, and one I recommend. Your inclusion of the black stonefly shows the versatility of the fly, and there are many effective color combinations out there. You do not have to tie it on a jig hook, though I have been tying many subsurface patterns on them in the last couple years, and have been pleased with the results (especially when fishing the pattern deep). As for the thread, I have been using that color on so many patterns, and it has just the right amount of brown or olive in it, depending on which color I need. It has become my "go-to" thread for nearly all nymphs, with the exception of those that are mainly black.

TC

Great Video, Tim ! I tie something very similar but use natural hen for the legs/collar. I tie it in the original tan dubbing but also olive. The funny thing is I used to use the Hungarian Partridge and long before I ever knew the fly actually had a name already. But then gravitated to hen over the years because in the rivers I fish it's worked better for me. Hungarian partridge with it's light tone just doesn't seem to do it up in those rivers for what ever reason. Kind of what you were talking about regarding matching material for local waters.

My variation has a red hotspot behind gold bead head and it's tricked out with med pearl flash for wing case. I use ruffed grouse for hackle and sometimes pheasant tail fibers or CDL for tail. Has all the bells and whistles but it's still a quick tie and works well for me from #12 (in still water mostly) to 18. Would probably work well smaller too (like darn near everything seems to), but I really don't enjoy tying it any smaller.

I bet it would work well in #4 to 8 in lakes for all kinds of warm water species too, but I haven't tried that yet.