Fly Tying
Dthree

Deer Belly?

What brand of deer belly have you found to be the most consistent quality? I am thinking of ordering some Nature Spirit brand and just wondering how it compares to others you have used.

Thanks

Ordering animal fur, deer hair and feathers and such online is a tricky business. My advice is to call your vendor and ask for them to hand pick your purchases with the qualities you are looking for if you can. Otherwise, you should hand pick your furs and feathers in person at a store. Since this is not possible for many of us, the first option is probably your best bet. Most reputable vendors are fine with assisting you with your choices. If you can't describe the qualities you are looking for then tell them what you want to tie with the belly hair and they will be able to pick the right samples for you.

Go to rusuperfly.com. Pat Cohen who is known for his hair stacking talent, has "Select Belly Hair". It Will not let you down. If "consistent quality" is what you are searching for. Search no further. I'm sure others on this site will back me up on this.

If by quality you mean length then read on... else skip this response.

I have gotten deer belly from several sources. Most internet vendors are not going to hand select choice hair for you. Oh, I'm sure if you are on a first name basis with them then you may not get the top one on the rack. When Chris Helm had whitetailflytieing he would visit the processing houses and hand pick hair as well as tan some of his own hides. You can still buy extra long white belly hair in larger sizes and hair lengths from the new proprietors at whitetailflytieing. If you want the longer ~2 1/2+ inch length then be prepared to pay for it. If it is length that you seek then there isn't one particular brand that is better than the other. They will all be a mix of not suitable for a big stacked bug to suitable for a smaller bug. If you get a half dozen packs from Pat then expect good quality but not all necessarily suitable in length to tie those huge display flies he sells. I've had pretty good success with EBay from certain dealers. The reason is that these sellers take a photo of the actual hair you are getting and hopefully with a ruler in the picture you can decrease the odds of being bummed when you open the package. Even a patch of hair will have inconsistent lengths. God luck..

My biggest issue with deer hair is not length but brittleness from being over baked or whatever you call it. The hide itself if very hard and crusty and not supple is a good indicator the hair will be similar in feel.

Go to rusuperfly.com. Pat Cohen who is known for his hair stacking talent, has "Select Belly Hair". It Will not let you down. If "consistent quality" is what you are searching for. Search no further. I'm sure others on this site will back me up on this.

Big ol' +1/dittos on this -- Pat and rusuperfly.com are the only game in town when it comes to belly hair for stacking and spinning. I tie a lot of deer-hair bass bugs, and I have been getting my belly hair exclusively from this site now for a couple of years. I have never once been disappointed.