Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Destin, FL and environs in December/January?

I am looking at the possibility of spending a week or so in Florida sometime in December or January this year, in the panhandle/NW Florida region, probably around Destin or thereabouts. I would like to do some shallow water fishing for whatever is moving that time of year--redfish in particular are of interest to me, but, hey, it's fly fishing in the dead of winter, I'll fish for whatever they've got! :)

Any recommendations for guides/areas to fish/etc. would be most welcome. I don't really know Florida at all. I've got a brother-in-law who would likely be fishing with me, and he's a light-tackle guy not a fly angler, so a guide who could put both of us on fish with our preferred tackle would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you guys might have...

I'm from Central Florida. I don't go that far North. Destin ... it gets cold there. Why, I've heard they even get FROST on the windshield sometimes !!!

I hear you, Mike -- North Florida was my mom's idea (this has been proposed as a family Christmas gathering). According to Weather Underground it only gets up into the 60's for the daytime highs in December and January in Destin. That would surely be relief from highs in the low teens and 20's that Michigan will be experiencing right around then, but still...I kind of think that, if we're going to "do" Florida, we should do South Florida and have the experience we're really chasing (sun, sand, fishing in shorts and t-shirts etc.), but everyone's planning to drive down, and when I suggest Ft. Myers or thereabouts, they all start pissing and moaning about the extra few hours in the car to get to South Florida. This might be why I don't make a habit of vacationing with my extended family. :)

LOL I have a sister, Indiana resident. They go to Destin every Winter. They look with amusement at the Florida natives in there sweaters and jackets ... while they sit around in t-shirts.

60 degrees, as you say, will be a welcome relief from your frozen tundra temps ... but you'll want a wet suit or waders if you plan on doing any wade fishing.

Sorry I can't help with the fishing opportunities ... it's salt water. That's about all I can tell you.

Don't let the "temps in the sixties" stuff fool you. That time of year almost all of Florida will be getting cold front after cold front (and most of them will eventually make it all the way down to south Florida....). It's not the cold that will mess up your fishing opportunities - it's the winds that come with each front (and the winds will shift direction as they come through, swinging around to the west then the northwest until finally settling down to just howling out of the north... That sort of stuff is why you'll find me deep in the backcountry then, hiding behind islands or heavy jungle shorelines... In short, that's when coastal areas turn into milkshakes and make the surf less than attractive... If you can find places where you're going that give some wind shelter -you might find a fish or two... Good luck, wish I had better news but I've done that Christmas panhandle family reunion stuff (and very carefully left my rods at home....).

Good to know, Capt. Bob -- that's what I was afraid of. It actually looks like the trip is getting revised; one of my sisters can't swing the trip this year, so I'm pushing for Christmas 2018/January 2019 as far south as we can get.

If you want to make it to Deltona this Christmas, I'll take you out on the St. Johns River for a try at some Florida Sunfish and Bass !!!

I'd definitely take you up on that Mike if we end up in your area! I'm not sure what's going to happen at this point, if we'll even come down this year or not since one of my sisters has said she can't make a Florida trip at all this winter, but I surely appreciate the offer.