Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

11ft 4/5wt switch rod

This one just off the bench is an 11ft 4/5wt 4pc switch rod on a UHM12 blank which is black with some metal flake in the finish. Custom turned switch rod style grips with burl wood insert seat set in polished hardware. Wraps are classic twist with single turn silver trim. Has oversized guides and large loop tip top for passing shooting head easier. Topped off with a custom made tube and matching rod sock.

zj4RmU.jpg
YlKlH1.jpg
keE5pU.jpg
gpxlVj.jpg
77OxKL.jpg
Q1lzRv.jpg
FkPXN1.jpg

Really nice Steve ! Mine won't be so refined looking I'm sure, if I ever actually do it. If you don't use color preserver of any type I'd sure like to know your secret of the bright wraps ! Maybe it's my old Flexcoat, I still have the old yellowish formula. It dries clear though.

I normally don't use CP but on this one I did because when you don't use CP on classic twist then it loses the contrast. So anytime I use classic twist I always CP them first.

Pretty. I'm not sure if I like the rod ID on each section ... no, I do like it, I'm just not sure why I like it.

hi steve..nice rod..the classic twist thread reminds me of my very two first rods..Herters kits both with the same thread..it may have been called classic twist also..it was used alot..did you use gudebrod,s version or is this Pro wraps tiger thread? thanks..just wondering, do rods this long become a real chore to cast when the wind is blowing?

This one just off the bench is an 11ft 4/5wt 4pc switch rod on a UHM12 blank which is black with some metal flake in the finish. Custom turned switch rod style grips with burl wood insert seat set in polished hardware. Wraps are classic twist with single turn silver trim. Has oversized guides and large loop tip top for passing shooting head easier. Topped off with a custom made tube and matching rod sock.

zj4RmU.jpg

YlKlH1.jpg

keE5pU.jpg

gpxlVj.jpg

77OxKL.jpg

Q1lzRv.jpg

FkPXN1.jpg

A hah caught ya in the act of color preserving !!!! LOL

Steve, I think your client will like that rod.

I built up one of those blanks in an 11 ft 3/4, the next size down from that rod. It's a nice rod for medium sized trout, and has handed fish into the low 20's very well, so I'd assume the 4/5 would be similar. It's pretty fast and light, and is very stiff for a two handed blank. Loaded with a scandi (225 grains) it's a nymphing machine.