Fly Tying

Circles disc versus sealed drags?

Can't edit title I ment cork not circles.....

Been shopping around for 12 wt setup (Fla trip big peacocks, tarpon) and ran across a discussion that the old open cork drags if when they fail the reel still works. The latest sealed drag fails the reel locks up... Not lotta experience with big fish/ long drag runs, prolly never have a sealed drag fail in my lifetime. But what say youse guys?

1st off 90% of us dont need a drag let alone a sealed drag that will stop a train.

Draw bar drags are excellent and are virtually worry free. Dunk in fresh water and a dab of grease or oil and they will last you a life time.

Tibor has as set more world records than all other reels combined..Whats that tell ya?

(Able right in there too)

Now do you need a $500-$1200 fly reel to catch fish? Hell no!

The two men that got me into flyfishng used Fenwick fiberglass rods and Pfluger reels to catch

100-200 LB+ sharks and tuna.

All that said Ive owned and own some high dollar reels,only because I could afford them at the time and I appreciate

fine tooling and crastmenship...not cause I needed it.

Granted Ive only chased fish over a 100 lbs a few times in my life but Ive caught a 135 lb Mako and 6 Blue Shark on what most would consider ghetto gear.

Want a nice reel I have a Tibor Gulfstream( original early 2000) never been fished...it was a display model...200 yards of 30 lb backing loaded...$500

Best of luck in your venture and decision