Fly Tying
breambuster

Why I'm Not Hosting Right Now

Guys, I hope I can get away with this. If this post is taken down, maybe some of you will have read it first and know what's going on. The reason I'm not hosting now really doesn't have anything to do with the Forum. I hope to be back with all of you soon. The deal is that I've been agonizing, the last few months, about retiring. The question wasn't IF I would retire, that was a given; but WHEN would I retire. I've been doing the same job (some of you know what that is) for the last 47 years this coming August and I'm tired. I will be 70 years old this November, (old guy, for sure) and we will be moving to a house that we've owned for about 15 years but have never lived in. That sounds strange, doesn't it? It's across the street from a large hydroelectric reservoir and it's also near the Chattooga River, a wild and scenic river in the closest thing we have to an area of mountains in SC. There be trout there! We will be moving the first of July and the address will change, but after that, I hope to have more time for tying and swapping and all that good stuff. So just hang on, and I'll be hosting again soon.

Take care

BB

BB,

Congratulations on the upcoming retirement. I turn 71 this summer and can attest that the retirement years go quickly and you are in better shape now than you will be in 10 years. Fully immerse yourself in the retirement and enjoy each and every day. You will find you can be as busy as you want.

Tom

i retired at 62 after 40+ years of designing submarines for the US Navy and spacecraft for NASA

i no longer have to meet schedules and deadlines and now i do everything i want

return to hosting/participating in swaps when you are ready

Congrats BB, I retired last year at 66 and lovin it cause you get your life back.

Reminds me of Rascal Flatts country song backwards.

No need to worry, BB. At the worst, we might move this to the "Lodge" forum, but I doubt it. You're okay with this ... and good luck with the move and retirement.

When I saw your post title I was afraid you or close family were having major health problems, glad to hear that's not the case.

BB, 1st,I don't participate in swaps, but if I did I would want you as the host. 2nd, But I do participate in being retired (its great to fish during the week with no crowds) and with what you said, you had everything lined up well, my 2 cents, do it now and don't look back.

Mike, I think this is fine here since BB is best known for his swapping and hosting right here with this elite group of tyers.

BB, if the time is right and your higher power says go, do it. You've spent your life doing what you know best for others, time to get some ME time for you, wife and family. Sounds like you have a lot better place to retire than we settled in but we had our valid reasons to be here and life is good. Getting out earlier and having a few more healthy years of retirement is great if you're able, though 70 is hardly early. I got out at 66 from designing roads in Mnpls/St Paul and when I determined that no amount of lanes or signs will prevent crashes and traffic tie ups I got out moved to a rare place where we live in the county seat and there is not a stoplight in the entire country. I got several good years in but things have slowed down for me but retirement is still great. I know a lot of people will be missing you where you're at but we'll sure enjoy having you back here with us again.

47 years at the same job...I'd say you have earned the retirement for sure BB. My grandfather was like that, was with the same company for 52 yrs of his life, you just don't see that sort of commitment these days like 40-50 years with a company. I hope you enjoy yourself and have many good days on the water during your retirement ahead of you!

Steve

Congrats BB! I retired at 62 due to health problems, but I have enjoyed the last ten years very much. More time for grandkids, fishing, swapping and just kicking back.

Randall

God be with you and may he guide you in your change. Your rest is deserved.

What SC town are you moving to sounds like Wallawalla area.

Look forward to you being back. Hope your daughter is well.

Prayers

BB, good luck with the retirement I know you deserve the time off after 47 years with the same company. I worked in Texas for 20 years and retired then came to

Arkansas and started a career in City Government (was that a mistake) I'm now 66 and looking to retire next year.

CONGRADULATION