Fly Tying

Click poppers

Given so many away found couple hooks big enough to give them bite still float great with these cork bods.

0-C282-F65-72-F2-4326-8-EE6-80-EC6-EC9-D

IMG-4994.jpg

(Misipi)

The first ones I robbed styro float inserts but found lil plastics straws clicked as well. Indeed the metal collars can be heard quite aways from the cast bugs!

A1-E7054-B-1-F32-4-A60-8-EBA-DD0-EF1-A9-

The key is to split the foam/cork to get the front plastic tube (coffee stirrers work cut 2 short pieces to get over hook barb&bend). Glue body and plastic insert dont get glue where hook slides. Drill plastic bead out so itll go over the hook barb and glue at bend. I SallyHansens the body and sprinkle with glitter, glue on eyes dont paint (actually I first paint the cork with Krazyglue to seal it when gluing). Do the tails last. Gotta leave room for good movement for loud click but balance hook size to body to not loose hook bite from bulk of body.

(Misipi)

Nice and Interesting. I've inserted rattles in some of my poppers and in my Crease flies. I'll have to give that a try. I've got a bunch of beads and few small metal sleeves that might fit over some of my hooks. Some thing different for fly tying season.

Matt L. from Mustang, Ok finally dropped couple of clickers to you in the mail. Enjoy! Prolly under snow/ice wont hit NC marshes for awhile....

So the deal is the popper body, mounted to the plastic tubes, slides back and forth on the hook shank? The click comes from the body colliding with the bead, which is glued in place at the bend? Do I have it right?