Fly Tying
Chris_NH

Hornberg Special lightning fast tie. 90 seconds

This is a 90 second sped up video of the Hornberg Special tied. Takes roughly 9 or 10 minutes to tie in real time, depending on the size.

The Hornberg is the best all around brook trout fly I've ever fished.

https://youtu.be/yVVmLWHgJ_s

I gotta admit ... I wasn't too keen on the one minute tie you did before. But I'm starting to like these high speed videos. Not very good for "instructional" content ... but definitely enough information for a skilled tier to see the materials and techniques required.

Bro, I am watching your other videos, and they are awesome. Do you do beaver trapping?

Rocco: Yup, and more used to seeing it with silver instead of gold tinsel. Charlie Craven ties it this way too, so maybe that's where this version comes from.

Personally, the InTheRiffle version is better if one is trying to learn the pattern I would argue:

A faster pace is useful if trying to cut through boring or repetitive steps, but really doesn't serve a purpose as far as I can tell in this case.

I gotta admit ... I wasn't too keen on the one minute tie you did before. But I'm starting to like these high speed videos. Not very good for "instructional" content ... but definitely enough information for a skilled tier to see the materials and techniques required.

I agree. More than enough info for an experienced tier to tie the fly, without wasting time. It's also language independent, European or Asian tier can communicate without having to speak English, or use sub-titles.

There's a place for both this style of video and the longer, detailed ones.

A skilled tier could tie the fly with just a picture and recipe. I'm not a fan of sped up videos, but to each his own. If I watch a video it's usually to see a specific step and I want to see it at normal speed.

Wasn't the original tied with yellow calf tail?

Rocco

nope

In Bates' book there is also a photo of the original Hornberg pattern (plate 1) and the complete dressing from the Weber Tackle Company, as follows:

Head: Black

Hook size: No. 6 regular

Body: Wound with flat silver tinsel

Wing: Two barred gray mallard breast feathers one and one-half inches long between which are the very narrow tips of two yellow neck hackles as long as the mallard and nearly concealed by it. These cover the shank of the hook, and are stroked to a point at their ends by applying a small amount of lacquer to them, rubbed between thumb and forefinger. The width of the feathers (for above size hook) is at least a quarter of an inch, with the yellow hackles narrower. (An easy way to apply the mallard is to strip the lower sides of the feathers from the quills.)

Cheek: Jungle cock, fairly long

Throat: Four or five turns of a grizzly hen neck hackle wound on dry fly style as a collar after the wing and cheeks have been applied. (This dressing should be fairly wide and heavy. The wing should not be applied too far forward, to accommodate it.)

https://wiflyfisher.com/patterns/Hornberg-Special-pattern.asp

I always tied them silver and for brookies in Maine use yellow calf tail fiber for the inner wing. Catches fish with or without the jungle cock eyes.

i guess if youre tying museum quality flies then the original recipe must be adhered to.

i would also think when teaching a fly pattern in a tying class or video the original recipe should be used or at least mention that youre tying a variation

but for fishing flies, its whatever you want to use to tie the fly