Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Think I've Decided, but ...

Hey guys, so I did listen and decided to shut up and research on my own, and I think I finally found the right camera. It is the Canon Powershot SX710 HS

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/412361/Canon-PowerShot-SX710-HS-203-Megapixel/?cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-Cameras_Camcorders-_-412361&adpos=1o5&creative=47886868676&device=t&matchtype=&network=g-VQ6-47886868676-VQ16-t-VQ17-pla-VQ18-online-VQ19-412361-VQ20-76926630596-VQ21--VQ22-177839036-VQ27-9203161796&gclid=CKH7zKzL_s8CFUZehgodMYEEJg

Anyways does anybody have experience they would be willing to share?

Flats

BTW, it is 300$ where I found it, in case any of you were wondering, but I could probably find it for under 280$ if I look hard enough

Flats i have never used this camera but i have used canon equip for yrs.The powershot camera's i have are older and shoot excellent photo's.

The Canon Powershot SX710 HS has a Digic 6 image processor which is an amazing processor.The camera starts up very quick and the Macro lens will shoot as close as 1/4 inch.In all the reviews i have seen ,the macro is bragged about as unbelievable for a point and shoot.It has wifi and can be controlled from a smart phone.All the feature's i see make this a great camera but like i said...i have never used this camera so i am just going by other canon camera's i have used.

The only complaint's i have heard of are about the mode button on top of the camera.They said it's sometimes hard to find a way to hold the camera when shooting without hitting the mode button on top and changing the camera's setting before you snap the photo.Maybe you can work around this.Also keep in mind that the 20.3 megapixel photo's and the HD video are not small files and can slow even a good computer down when processing them.

Simply put, Macro is the "close up focus mode." To focus on small objects like many flies, you want to get very close so that a 3/8" object fills the image. You would be shooting at a distance of less than an inch, so you need to use a "macro" or close up setting.

I can tell you that the Canons are very durable. I found mine along the road. It had been dropped off the top of a car. I have knocked it around hiking and fishing and have dropped it on a concrete floor. It still works 8 years later. Wish I could break it, then I could get a new one.

As mentioned "macro" is the capability to shoot photos very close up so you fill the frame with the object being photographed ( like a fly). But when you shoot close in like this you also need good light to do it in and the on camera flash is not "good light", nor is it at a practical angle to be used with close up photos. So pay attention to some of the posts on how the guys light the flies for their photos they display here that look so awesome ! You can also find blogs on shooting close up and macro photography.

Yeh? x2! I couldn't open your link so i don't know what kind of camera this Canon is! Is it just a camera? Or is it some new kind of action camera? If it's just a camera, then that's booring & just wasted money when you come to buy a gopro or something like that! I think you need a action camera for fishing, one that takes pictures, videos, waterproof & more important, waterproof in the salt! I was thinking of one of these gopro's at the start of the year, but they are not cheap & each new one gets better & more expensive all the time! Then at the start of summer junkmail came in the post & seen Kitvision action camera with everything to mount it anywhere 39euros, so i thought Ahh i don't even know how to use Bluetooth or WiFi or what ever it is gopro has, so i got one! Funny thing is memory card cost almost as much as the camera! Have some videos of 8" & 9" trout on a 1wt from up north, but i haven't figured out how to watch em yet!:-))

i dont think i would go with a gopro camera as an everyday waterproof point and shoot camera or making tying videos with a fish eye lens

the gopro is a great camera for action sports, fishing, boating, snorkeling, skiing etc. its an action camera!

i use a nikon coolpix s9900 for my fly phography. it also has the capacity for full 1080hd videos should i ever want to venture into the fly tying video craze

nikon_26497_coolpix_s9900_digital_camera

Exactly Norm. I do have a gopro hero 3 white, but i rarely use it because of kts terrible quality. The only pictures I've posted from there to here were from my First Bonefish thread(saltwater section). I think i am pretty happy as this for my new camera... Thanks to all for your input

Just remember Flats, a good camera with this macro will probably = very good pictures! Don't get angry if someone posts shouldn't that be in the beginers section? I'm sticking with my sony phone for fly pictures! Why not look at high end phones?

i dont think i would go with a gopro camera as an everyday waterproof point and shoot camera or making tying videos with a fish eye lens

the gopro is a great camera for action sports, fishing, boating, snorkeling, skiing etc. its an action camera!

i use a nikon coolpix s9900 for my fly phography. it also has the capacity for full 1080hd videos should i ever want to venture into the fly tying video craze

nikon_26497_coolpix_s9900_digital_camera

I've seen that camera refurbished on Amazon for about 200. It's a good camera for the price.

Small digitals are nice, but for most circumstances I've now gone to DSLRs

A $300.00 camera, and a $200.00 phone will give you ALL the benefits you state, Adam ... and still cost $200.00 less.