Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How many spools of thread do you own?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:04 PM

I was trying to reorganize my tying area, and I found the thread box. Mind you that I got 95% of my tying supplies 10+ years ago and that I only keep handy what I need for whatever I am tying, which, in thread, means flat waxed nylon and mono thread.
Opened the box to rediscover all these spools I forgot I had. Big fly, 2x, stretchy, kevlar, 3/0, 6/0, ...
Turns out I have over 30 spools of thread, which to me is an obscene number.
So I wonder if this is normal fly tier behavior or if I need to seek professional help.
Bimini15

#2 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:24 PM

ummmm I am a newbie and only have 7, but I am happy so far!

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#3 Jaydub

Jaydub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:39 PM

I don't know, but I'd guess I have close to 100. I have several colors, that I got tired of running out of, in boxes of 12. Plus years of accumulation.

#4 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:42 PM

Jeez! I need to up my thread game!

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#5 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,916 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:47 PM

I've got two, maybe three spools of "fly tying" thread.  I've got a few dozen spools of sewing thread, which is what I use on  95% of my flies.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#6 stabgnid

stabgnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:53 PM

I have 24 and it seem I still never have the right color for the pattern I try to tie .

Steve-stabgnid

"I don't fly fish I just love to tie flies"

Steve-stabgnid

#7 josephcsylvia

josephcsylvia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:12 PM

Ive got maybe 40 on hand right now but need to order some smaller stuff. I tie salt and fresh water and trout flies so it compounds what I need lol

#8 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,979 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:13 PM

Fly tying thread....probably around 50-60 different spools.

Rod building thread----Easily well over 300+ spools.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#9 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 11:53 PM

Gee Steve, I thought I was the spool whore... I have so many on my wall I don't want to count, but I am sure it is less than 1/3 of those numbers. How the .... Do you keep track of that many???

#10 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:29 AM

I'm sure I'm well over a hundred and I have a lot more than I need. I'm really going to try to use up a lot of the thread that I have and get down to lots of spare junk when needed, otherwise I'll be tying virtually everything from 12s to 20s with 8/0 Veesus in white and just magic marker color the last wraps on the head with whatever it calls for before cement. Exceptions to this which use the thread as part of the tie. For this I have a nice mixture of Pearsall's silk thread and floss for this. Lots of words out there on how silk takes on different colors in the water than rayon or nylon. 

#11 Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:20 AM

53 spools of thread in differen't colours & sizes, then there is lead wires, copper wires, silks, yarns, tinsels, vinyl ribs, mylars, easydubs & 3 mono! 117 spools altogeather, maybe a few more hiding somewhere?

#12 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for the replies.
Ok. I did not count tinsels, lead and ribbing spools, or my ONE spool of rod wrapping thread. But it still sounds like I do not need to seek professional help.
Some of you, on the other hand... I really worry about you now... :)
Bimini15

#13 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:50 AM

Maybe 30 - 35 boxes of tying threads (some with the full 12 spools, many with less....).  I try to keep a full color selection on both flat-waxed nylon and 3/0 monocord - of the colors I need.  I've done my best to cut down on rod building threads (but still do have a few 4oz. spools of the long out of business Holland thread in four colors)... For rodbuilding I'm still using mostly Gudebrod stuff - but it's discontinued as well.  My guess is that I'll be "discontinued" long before I run out....

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#14 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,979 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:39 AM

Gee Steve, I thought I was the spool whore... I have so many on my wall I don't want to count, but I am sure it is less than 1/3 of those numbers. How the .... Do you keep track of that many???

Todd I keep them in parts organizers that would normally be used to hold bolts/nuts/screws etc etc. I like to keep all shades of each color in its own bin. That way when I have a customer that wants a certain blue color wrap I can just go to the bin of blue threads and find that shade. This is one of about three containers I keep my threads in. The other ones are the same but one holds my metallic threads and the other holds my NCP and Classic twist threads. Makes life a lot easier when searching for a color.

thread_zpstfiwvnx2.jpg

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#15 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:39 AM

"How many spools of thread do you own?"

All of 'em.

Another five years Bimini, you'll have 300.

Just bugger it off, no help for us anyways.

Always quit when you're through.