Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Small Creek Fishing with the New 2019 Redington Butterstick

Well this was absolutely one of my favorite times out on the water. With my new favorite small stream rod. After I got used to the rod, it became deadly accurate, and it was rather light, which is a combo rarely seen with fiberglass rods.

Even though we didn't catch much the first night, it was rather peaceful being out there, knowing we had a good day ahead of us. Well I take that back, we didn't really know because the weather was calling for some thunder and lightning storms. I don't mind fishing the rain, but last thing I want to do is be out in a lightning storm, waving around a rod. But we got lucky, and the next day was not too bad. We got some really nice fish and went on an adventure though a back country creek, which honestly I thought was too skinny to hold fish. But sure enough they were there!
However this afternoon was not bad fishing to say the least, and we saw some great sites. I have passed by this creek many times, and always wondered how the fishing was. So thank you Jeff for showing me this little secret. It really is a natural wonder just like all of the Colorado small creeks through this amazing range of the Rocky Mountains!

Flicted, I have a full review of this rod coming out on the 9th of October. However the quick run down. Price is good for a high quality glass rod. It compares in my opinion to the Orvis Superfine which is $429 vs $250 for the Butterstick. The Butterstick actually has a super light swing weight comparably to most fiberglass rods out there that I've used. (the new one Im talking about, the older Butterstick was a bit heavier of a swing). In my opinion its very accurate. In fact its the most accurate rod I own in this category. However I don't have a sage-x Scott radian or Orvis Helios 3 in a smaller creek style (2-4wt). So, Its hard to compare that. However it is very very accurate, and I feel I could hit a quarter 9/10 times with my fly from 30-40 feet. Of course im exaggerating but.... Its very accurate! Which is weird since its coming from a fiberglass! Usually low swing weight and accuracy arent there with glass. But this tends to have it. It also has a bit more oomph than other glass rods Ive used in the past. I can get an extra 10+ feet on my cast than im used to for glass. So overall, I think its a great rod!

To pick up on a couple things that you said:

1) I think your comparison with the Superfine is an apt. I test cast a new model Butterstick 7 1/2' four weight and thought that it was so similar to the Superfine of that length that I already own that I wouldn't even consider buying it. I did, however end up getting the 8' five weight because it filled a hole in my quiver. I'm impressed with its casting ability.

2) You mentioned missing a lot of fish. Do you think the rod had anything to with that? I've had mine out twice and my hookup rate was awful. There are some rods I own where my hookup rate is low when fishing downstream, and those tend to be faster rods, and others where my hookup rate is poor when fishing upstream, and these tend to be slower rods. The Butterstick was awful in both directions. I may have just had two bad days. Since you mentioned the same thing, I wondering if the rod may have has something to do with it.

However it is very very accurate, and I feel I could hit a quarter 9/10 times with my fly from 30-40 yards. Of course im exaggerating but...

LOL Exaggerating MORE than a bit. 30 to 40 yards is 90 to 120 feet.

There's been discussions on distance, many times ... and a lot of people don't even believe it when other's claim to cast to 20 yards. I know I can hit the 20 yard mark from the goal line ... but none of my rods will reach the 30 or 40 yard mark. Well, even if I could haul a fly out to that mark, it definitely wouldn't be accurate.

Glad you like the rod, though.

2) You mentioned missing a lot of fish. Do you think the rod had anything to with that? I've had mine out twice and my hookup rate was awful. There are some rods I own where my hookup rate is low when fishing downstream, and those tend to be faster rods, and others where my hookup rate is poor when fishing upstream, and these tend to be slower rods. The Butterstick was awful in both directions. I may have just had two bad days. Since you mentioned the same thing, I wondering if the rod may have has something to do with it.

I'm thinking this is a perfect example of why it's important to develop the strip set. Takes the rod, almost completely, out of the equation. Even stiff rods need a lot of swing to actually apply pressure to the hook point. Strip setting applies pressure much sooner and with much more force.

To pick up on a couple things that you said:

1) I think your comparison with the Superfine is an apt. I test cast a new model Butterstick 7 1/2' four weight and thought that it was so similar to the Superfine of that length that I already own that I wouldn't even consider buying it. I did, however end up getting the 8' five weight because it filled a hole in my quiver. I'm impressed with its casting ability.

As for the rod itself loosing fish, I dont think so. My buddy was missing sets as well with his graphite rod, and the fish were seeming to actually miss the fly when biting half the time. They were being really picky and when they did actually bite, they dropped it so quick, and they werent seeming to turn before dropping the fly. However I took it out to a lake and did some dry fly fishing in the morning last week, and it did amazingly! I missed like 2-3 hook sets and caught like 15 fish. It was really good. Granted your assessment on upstream vs downstream, doesnt apply to lake fishing but I have a trip this weekend to a small creek again and we will see how it fairs there.

No problem ... you did say it was an exaggeration! wink.png

Yes and that would have been like you said an extreme exaggeration! Haha. Even so, hitting a quarter every time from 30 feet is an exaggeration as well. But yes it is very accurate, and with perfect casts each time I might be able to, but Im far from a perfect caster. Hahaa

Btw Mike, how were the closeups of the fish this time around? Better I hope? The camera is super wide angle, so litterally Im like 2 from the fish now. Hahahaa

I'm thinking this is a perfect example of why it's important to develop the strip set. Takes the rod, almost completely, out of the equation. Even stiff rods need a lot of swing to actually apply pressure to the hook point. Strip setting applies pressure much sooner and with much more force.

That's exactly the opposite of what needs to be done when fishing downstream. The trick is to not strike at all and let the fish hook itself, or wait before lifting the rod to set the hook. Otherwise you pull the hook out of the fish's mouth (or break a tippet). A soft rod tip with the rod held up at 45 degree angle help with this.

Yeah, I use a GoPro, too ... and to get an actual close-up ... I'm holding a fish 2 to 3 inches from the camera.

Those are much better, showing more details for those of us in non-trout States.

Yeah, I use a GoPro, too ... and to get an actual close-up ... I'm holding a fish 2 to 3 inches from the camera.

Those are much better, showing more details for those of us in non-trout States.

Actually mine is a Sony FDR-X3000 which is like a go pro with similar angles. Also I agree with the above about strip sets. On trout fishing you really cant strip set at all, unless fishing large streamers. All I could do is strip set when I used to fish for redfish, but trout are a completely different game.

Strip setting a small creek trout?! Now the thought of that is just hilarious, best one I've heard all week.

And as redietz stated, a downstream take requires the "God save the Queen" before lifting the rod tip.

You guys are laughing at strip setting the hook, and I don't understand that.

The problem with small fish is that they can be pulled with the fly. Rather than setting the hook, you just pull the fish through the water as it holds tightly onto the fly. Next thing you know, it's gone and you never slacked the line. Actually, the fish just opened it's mouth.

Strip setting is more likely to get the hook point into flesh.

But you're correct, I don't know much about catching 3 to 4 inch trout. Maybe small sunfish and bass are harder to hook.