Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Fish Car Project Part 2

A couple of weeks ago, I posted some pics of a storage box that I'd built for the back of my Jeep Patriot, and I mentioned that it was to be half of a sleeping platform, which I will use when I spend a week camping and fishing in Michigan's Upper Peninsula this July.

Below are some pics of the just-completed sleep platform base and the memory foam pad I will sleep on, as well as the bug screens I made from screen purchased from the hardware store and some strip magnets. I'm pretty pleased with the way it's coming together.

The forward half of the sleep platform is in two pieces, which makes it possible to load it through the side doors, and also to stack the two pieces so that the front passenger seat doesn't always have to be pulled all the way forward--this will be appreciated by my son, who will be riding up to the U.P. with me. smile.png As you can see, I will have good space for gear storage under the platform.

post-36073-0-47471400-1495987208_thumb.jpg

post-36073-0-44198900-1495987224_thumb.jpg

post-36073-0-58922800-1495987242_thumb.jpg

The 3" memory foam sleep pad is in three sections that allow it to fold up if need be. Even when it's fully deployed, I will still have room for a big cooler and other gear besides the storage space under the sleep platform.

post-36073-0-00658700-1495987271_thumb.jpg

post-36073-0-76241600-1495987271_thumb.jpg

The window screens attach with magnets, so they're easy to deploy and will allow me to sleep with 2 windows partially or fully open without intrusions from our 6- and 8-legged friends.

post-36073-0-89969700-1495987560_thumb.jpg

That's all for now. I think I am going to be literally a happy camper. smile.png

Looks really good Bryon. As I said before I think you will like the mobility that a rig like this gives. No more long drives back to a motel (or a search for one) at the end of the day and you can be on the water when you wake up. Nice job !! Enjoy.

Les

Looks functional.

Buy a pool raft ... when you find the memory foam isn't enough, you can blow it up and put it under the foam.

Looks functional.

Buy a pool raft ... when you find the memory foam isn't enough, you can blow it up and put it under the foam.

Thanks Mike. :) I actually have a couple of inflatable mats that I used to use for camping, but I switched to the foam because they always lost air overnight and I would wake up with my shoulder or hip grinding into the ground. I may end up supplementing it, but it would be with more foam. I've slept on it a couple of times, though, and found it comfortable enough.

Looks like a great start to a great 'fish car' Byron. Good luck in the UP (pssst......Paint River).

BCT

Thanks BCT -- the Paint is at the top of the "must-do" list. :)

I like that a lot. I've been considering doing something similar. I'm thinking of taking my small tent and using it for gear storage while I sleep in the car. I really like the window screen idea!

I like that a lot. I've been considering doing something similar. I'm thinking of taking my small tent and using it for gear storage while I sleep in the car. I really like the window screen idea!

Thanks JS -- the screens are my favorite part of the whole setup. Sleeping in the car in summer would be far less comfortable without them. I got the idea from a YouTube video that I turned up while doing some "research" (aka random Googling smile.png )

Using a tent for gear storage only is a good idea too--I considered doing something like that but I don't have my small tent anymore.

First ... I think a car-top carrier will be a better option for storage than a tent ... as a quiet thief could get in and out of a tent without you knowing.

Second ... if I take the time to set up a tent, I'm sleeping in it. The vehicle would be for storage.

I like the set up in the Jeep but, to me, setting up a tent negates the need for it.

I agree with Mike on the cartop carrier. They are fairly expensive but are weatherproof and lockable. The only thing that I would add is a tarp pitched off the side or rear of the jeep. Tied to the rack with a couple of poles and pegs holding the other end. Sets up and comes down quickly and offers a dry place to sit and/or cook while parked. Good luck.

Les

I agree with Mike on the cartop carrier. They are fairly expensive but are weatherproof and lockable. The only thing that I would add is a tarp pitched off the side or rear of the jeep. Tied to the rack with a couple of poles and pegs holding the other end. Sets up and comes down quickly and offers a dry place to sit and/or cook while parked. Good luck.

Les

I like this idea! I think I will incorporate it into the final plan. Thanks Les!

Where's the bar? Looks nice. I have hunted with a guide out of nevada that had a gun box on the bottom and then you would grab a string and the dog boxes slid out. He had two shovels, water cans and 2 spare tires. I wish I had a pic. He quail guides in the desert around Vegas, awesome experience.

Where's the bar? Looks nice. I have hunted with a guide out of nevada that had a gun box on the bottom and then you would grab a string and the dog boxes slid out. He had two shovels, water cans and 2 spare tires. I wish I had a pic. He quail guides in the desert around Vegas, awesome experience.

Sounds like he had a sweet setup. I like the idea of a bar--might have to work that one in. :)