Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
OL Sarge

Fly Tying Desks?

Boy, I'd like a set of plans for that first desk. I build my tying desk about 30 years ago. Check out your area for a "woodworkers club", you might find someone who would like to build one.

I saw a desk this week on a site I can no longer remember that has an ideal for me tying surface. IF I had my own room I'd definitely look intot getting one -- probably custom built too IF I had the cash. The desk was a half circle with a round space inserted for the tyer to sit. In essence, it was like a half-donut with loads of room at either side for tools etc ready to hand and a large working area right in front of the tyer.

Oh well, back to reality.

Rocco

This desk is beautiful but I can see several things that look nice but may not be very functional. The array of drawers looks nice however the contents of most of them are out of view when you are sitting at the desk. The center drawer is useless when you are seated and if you mount a c-clamp vise (most stable mount) near the center of the desk, the vise will interfere with the operation of the drawer. The same thing will happen with the 2 bottom drawers unless the area in front of them is clear of everything. Although it may appear that the drawers seem extensive, after tying flies for many decades, I have now taken over an entire room with fly tying materials, tools, lights, photo equipment, etc.

The really functional part of this desk is the large work surface; although not expandable. My personal opinion is to look for a table that is inexpensive enough so you won't mind making modifications (I have my vise clamped firmly to a small step down from the work surface). I have plastic storage sets of drawers (which can be re-arranged when additional storage is needed - and allow some degree of seeing what is in the drawer when closed).

The other things I have in my room are a place to store books, the ability to mount multiple lights (from different angles to eliminate shadows), the ability to photograph/video flies when under construction, a way to store bulk items (such as large plastic bins or, as you see in many fly shops, an area with pegboard to srore hangfing bags, and finally, the space to have a laptop computer or tablet nearby to look up fly patterns and videos.

Sorry this is long winded, but I hope these thoughts help in making your tying area more fun for less money in the long run.

I use a computer desk, the two part type with a keyboard desk that fits underneath it. It's excellent and the right height and being made of particle board is relatively cheap.

i'm cheap. $46 from walmart. works great. plenty of tying room. nothing to bang your knees on.

cd8d9bf9-9a19-4958-996f-261f44ea8648_1.a

buy or make a tying bench and your good to go

$_3.JPG?set_id=2

or

ditch the tying bench, use a pedestal vise and youll get more room on a table for additional tying junk

built a fly tying workstation for desk and fly rod, tubes, and materials shelf next to it ,wasn't that hard just took some time. let me know if you have any questions.

GP

post-60412-0-74092400-1497655413_thumb.jpg

There is not a desk made that provides adequate and convenient storage. I also did the peg board thing but shelved that within a few weeks. What I found I like best is a flat surface to put a portable tying station on and all of my tying material stored in plastic shoe boxes on shelves. I pull the material out that I'm tying with at the time. I take my portable station wherever it is I want to tie at whether that be the tying bench, the kitchen, living room, backyard, bedroom, wherever. Why limit yourself to a single corner somewhere in the far reaches of your house. When I'm done tying the material goes back in it's bin. I like storage in airtight containers so as not to encourage or entice critters.